1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

killer dowel pin

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use weatherstrip adhesive to hold a gasket in place it's yellow and is commonly called gorilla snot

Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chummins89
I bought a 98 12 valve dodge for a cummins swap in a 89 chevy crew cab . Before I dropped it in I did the dowel pin , and after 183,xxx it was out about 3/16 of an inch. I peened it , then tabbed it , and tightened the case bolts (which were also loose) . In my mind it was the best time I have spent with the engine. Just my .02
Yeah, I have heard that in some motors a case bolt came out instead of the dowl pin. Definately a must do preventative item getting under that timing cover. I need to remove the cover anyway to fix a small oil leak at the bottom of the cover gasket so it is time to do it all. Did you go with RTV or an original Cummins gasket? Any difficulties getting the new crank seal in?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Longshot
you can use weatherstrip adhesive to hold a gasket in place it's yellow and is commonly called gorilla snot
I have worked with that stuff on new weatherstrip installs. It definately resembles something on the order of 2 day old snot from someone with a bad case of the flu. I think I have some Hi Tack gasket adhesive and sealant in my garage. It works well too and is compatible with engine oil.

Last edited by sootnsmoke; 06-26-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Diesel Fan

[QUOTE=sootnsmoke;767535]Yeah, I have heard that in some motors a case bolt came out instead of the dowl pin. Definately a must do preventative item getting under that timing cover. I need to remove the cover anyway to fix a small oil leak at the bottom of the cover gasket so it is time to do it all. Did you go with RTV or an original Cummins gasket? Any difficulties getting the new crank seal in?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The crank seal came with a sleeve to install it , went smooth . I used a gasket maker made for atvs made by permatex , it's gray , and called ultraseal ,and we use it to mate case halfs together on engines.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Diesel Fan

when i remove the timing cover the gasket was in great condition after the check pin and tabbed i reused the same gasket with a little silacone on both sides. i bought a new crank seal for cummins it came with the sleeve to in stall on motor $12.00. the only thing i notice was getting the seal in straight be carful not to tape it to hard as it does not have a flange to keep it from be tapped thru not like on a gas motorthat has a flange to stop the seal . make sure it is in straight i installed mine the first time and it looked as if it was in to far.but worked out fine as i had a lite groove on my crankshaft and the seal was a hair passed the groove no leaks.when you install timing cover put the sleeve on the crank first then slide the timing cover on an the sleeve will pop out and can be pulled off. (made my own tab out of stainless and picked up a longer bolt at a local auto parts $1.19. i know people that reuse the same bolt. with no problems. saves $ 60.00 plus dollars.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Any reason you did not go with RTV instead of the original gasket? Any tips or issues with getting the new timing cover front seal in?
I would just rather have a gasket, just because it looks nicer and i hate cleaning up rtv.
And the seal I put the seal in the cover first, then tried to put it on the engine. I had trouble getting the seal in the cover, and getting the cover with seal on the engine.

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
That chunk of steel you just bolted in there is bigger than the one it it supposed to be protecting against.
Yes I know, but I didn't like the looks of how tight of a bent I would have to make in order to made a tab out of sheet metal.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hagerty_justin
I would just rather have a gasket, just because it looks nicer and i hate cleaning up rtv.
If you have to clean it up, you put too much on. Also, as someone else here suggested, let it cure somewhat first, then tighten whatever it is down.