12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

O ring or fire ring

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

SOOOO .. I was in Monroe yesterday .... so i decided to stop @ DDP ( Dynomite diesel ) and I chatted with the Boss ... Lenny ... MR.Cummins..LOL

So when on street under 550Hp ... flat heads and studs ( get it warm and cool , then re-torque and all should be well )

Over 550hp or 60psi boost Firering and freequent re-torques ( first couple of thousand miles untill they stop taking more threads ....)

I specifa=ically asked about O-rings .... He said JUNK .. dont go there .. they are usless and will cost you HG's left and right .. So from a Pro diesel guy .... I'm standing on his words as gold ..

I know there will be manny to disagree ... but he did make a valid point ... you take a stainless steel piano wire make a groove in the head and then smash them together ... your gonna end up with a head thats slightly elevated and likley to blow coolant due to coolant pressure .... which is what happened to me ( not O-ringed ) ... due to weak Head bolts and not enough timing and low rpm high boost ... oops !!!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, I've got a built and ringed head on my buddy's bench waiting to go in, that's going to have to hold in 55psi regularly... I guess I'll see.

<_<

>_>

Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
Well, I've got a built and ringed head on my buddy's bench waiting to go in, that's going to have to hold in 55psi regularly... I guess I'll see.

_>
Ive installed over 50 o ringed heads with not a single failure as of yet. Some are over 50k since install. We had o rings in my silver truck that was sprayed. Made spikes up to 80psi and excessive drive pressures. 839rwhp and over 1500 ftlbs. Block failed before the gasket. I've seen a ton of fire ring failures and non ringed gasket failures. As a matter of fact if you search fire ring failure on comp d you'll understand why we dont do them .
Lastly the comment about "the rings and head not level" is straight up most retarted comment I've ever heard. A:heads must be surfaced and checked for straightness b: rings are precisely cut to provide exact protrusions , this protrusion coincides with the crushed thickness of the gasket in turn providing a solid fitting c: orings only push on the factory gaskets fire ring. In turn providing additional support to the factory fire ring. A gasket failure from my experience caused by mods occurs between the head and gasket. The head is more susceptible to heat cycles, the oring allows additional pressure to be provided in the problem area of the gasket for these conditions.
No offense to Lenny, nice enough guy talked to him multiple times over the years and used his products but I vote his opinion is due to a lack of experience with o-rings because the reasoning he provided is ridiculous. If hundreds of people have used this type of setup with no problem you have to question his comments.
The truck in the pictures above has been 100k on rings with only 2 retorques. Customer assumed a failed injector was head gasket due to the fact he missed retorques. Block test passed, coolant pressure test passed and no leaks anywhere on the gasket. As you can see with 3 retorques the additional torques bring the o-rings farther into the factory gasket eliminating issues with inadequate surace area around coolant and lil passages.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by mysterync; 01-01-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
SOOOO .. I was in Monroe yesterday .... so i decided to stop @ DDP ( Dynomite diesel ) and I chatted with the Boss ... Lenny ... MR.Cummins..LOL

So when on street under 550Hp ... flat heads and studs ( get it warm and cool , then re-torque and all should be well )

Over 550hp or 60psi boost Firering and freequent re-torques ( first couple of thousand miles untill they stop taking more threads ....)

I specifa=ically asked about O-rings .... He said JUNK .. dont go there .. they are usless and will cost you HG's left and right .. So from a Pro diesel guy .... I'm standing on his words as gold ..

I know there will be manny to disagree ... but he did make a valid point ... you take a stainless steel piano wire make a groove in the head and then smash them together ... your gonna end up with a head thats slightly elevated and likley to blow coolant due to coolant pressure .... which is what happened to me ( not O-ringed ) ... due to weak Head bolts and not enough timing and low rpm high boost ... oops !!!
This is exactly why there have never been any dynomite diesel part on my truck

Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Mysterync I completely agree with your thoughts as well .. I have herd so much saying otherwise as well ..... I have to admit I was also confused as to why he would say there not worth using .... maybe its because they do pullers and not much in the street stuff in shop ???

Either way I'm shooting for 450 hp and not a dime more unless by chance it happens ... so a flat head and a super B or something like it ... I do under stand my drive pressures are ridicules and I agree with Lenny about that ... my egt's are defiantly out there ... just driving down freeway 65 ... 650-700* on pyro ... he did tell me that the HX is my restriction and is a big contributing factor in my high egt's and too much fuel as well .. and the need for more timing .. I'm not sure about the timing issue as I do plan to tow and I'm not too sure how much more to go 15.5* is my current setting and I think maybe 18 or so .... need input on that as well ....

I do listen to you both ( 94 and mysterync ) .. value your input as guys that can prove your Cummins experience ..

if you ever need help on a 8v or 60 let me know ..LOL