12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

O ring or fire ring

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default O ring or fire ring

What's the difference what's better?
I think I blew my head gasket.
How much does it cost in labor usually?
And what has to be done?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:31 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...ing-heads.html

Oring for a daily driver is typically a better idea as it can take the heat cycles better. Fire ring is a max performance mod, 80+ PSI boost.

Oring is a wire ring embedded in the head, fire ring is a copper ring that squishes into a groove of the head, and/or block.

My O-Ringing was $300 once I got the head to the shop.

Pull the head, machine the surface, then the shop will cut the grooves and install the rings.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Will having it o ringed work for 60psi of boost? That's what my twins are set at now. Thanks for the quick reply.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Where could I get an oring kit? Is there one kit better than the other?

Last edited by ClintD.; 12-18-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

60 is tops with studs and O-rings ... anything more your pushing your luck ( is what i have been told ) .. still waiting on my K31 ...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

O rings are solid till atleast 80. I know we saw over 90 more than once without a failure. Fire rings are a pita and will constantly cause issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

my puller still runs an o ringed head and see's 50-55 psi every weekend, between 4400-4800 rpm, and a good amount of timing. Have yet to lose a headgasket since going to o rings.

They are a lot tougher than most give them credit for.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I talked to Scheid diesel and Haisleys. They both said they don't put o rings in. Just fire ring. From daley drivers to farmers to pullers and track. I have a machine shop close that puts o rings in but are not known much for diesels. Labor is 100 cheaper than both Scheid and Haisleys. But the others are well known and that's the stuff they do all the time. I'm 4 hours away from Scheid and 5 from Haisleys. I think I'm going with Scheid. Anyone have any other suggestions? I really would rather not ship it if I didn't have too. Plus Scheid will have it done in 3-4 days from the time I drop it off.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClintD.
I talked to Scheid diesel and Haisleys. They both said they don't put o rings in. Just fire ring. From daley drivers to farmers to pullers and track. I have a machine shop close that puts o rings in but are not known much for diesels. Labor is 100 cheaper than both Scheid and Haisleys. But the others are well known and that's the stuff they do all the time. I'm 4 hours away from Scheid and 5 from Haisleys. I think I'm going with Scheid. Anyone have any other suggestions? I really would rather not ship it if I didn't have too. Plus Scheid will have it done in 3-4 days from the time I drop it off.
I dont care what anyone says. Fire ring it and you will pull the head multiple times for a blown gasket at some point. I've seen it happen to atleast 20 trucks machined different places and installed by different installers. I think that takes the probability of installer or machinist error to a pretty low average. Ling story short if you don't mind pulling the head for gaskets every now and then.... go for it!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Shied and Haisleys are pretty well known. Why wouldn't they do orings? Just curious. Not arguing. I'm not knowledgeable enough with this stuff to argue.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClintD.
Shied and Haisleys are pretty well known. Why wouldn't they do orings? Just curious. Not arguing. I'm not knowledgeable enough with this stuff to argue.
Rob scheid is the only person I use for injection work and my post was no way in relation to them or theor work. My opinion comes from direct experience with this situation. One of these experiences comes from a haisley head that was installed per instruction from haisley. I'm no know it all engine tech or machinest but I can say if I was going with fire rings it would be competition only and using 625s or a bigger/stronger head stud with additional clamping force to address any issues with heating/cooling cycles. In a daily driven truck application there is no need for 50psi let alone 80psi. Twin setups may push that number a touch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O ring or fire ring