24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

2002 dodge 2500 cummins. At times, not all the time, it will not crank on the first key turn. Acts as if the batteries are dead. It may take two or three turns of the switch but eventually it will crank. It has never left me stranded. Other times it will fire right up will one turn of the switch. Ithink problem is stemming from the starter but not sure. Dont want to go and buy a new starter when a new starter is not the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

can you here a clicking when it doesn't turn over if so you may need new set of starter contacts very easy install.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

No clicking noise. Wont really do anything. Like i said in the post it acts as if the batteries are dead.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Default Same issue

I am recently having the exact same issue with my truck and was wondering if you figured out a solution yet?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check ALL of ur connections you probably have a bad ground.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Any suggestions on which connections I should check? This starting thing is recent (last week started happening exactly how diesel dude describes it) but for about a year now my speedo has been working on and off. Most of the time it just bobs around then falls to 0. I feel like it's an in dash issue as every once in a while the airbag light comes on and when I hit the dash it leaves. The abs and Pbrake lights remain on at all times and I have checked the rear diff sensor and the connection looks fine. I have been told to check for bad ground before but I'm not sure where to even begin. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Default Trouble staring hot or cold

New to the dodge family. Having a little problem starting hot or cold. I have a Quadzilla adrenaline with an air dog 165 which is both a month and a half old. It is an 01 with 225K mile on it with a 6 speed. The problem has been going on for a good month or to but it's getting so bad if I take it somewhere I have to leave it running because it will be so hard to start. I did keep the fuel pressure at 13 psi and it got worse so upped it to 17 psi and it helped out some. When starting on a good day it could take a good min. but when its starting it acts like it is almost wanting to start but it just dont have enough pep in its step to presure up the injectors to atamize the fuel. It is not throwing any codes and probably pretty sure it is the brain of the injection pump that is giving problems but not sure. The lift pump is working and running good and when the engine is running it runs good. I have also did the ice test and I think that it did help out I think. I have 33 12.50 tires and I'm only getting 17 mpg, which I think should better because I pretty much baby it. If anybody can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks

Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel dude 02
2002 dodge 2500 cummins. At times, not all the time, it will not crank on the first key turn. Acts as if the batteries are dead. It may take two or three turns of the switch but eventually it will crank. It has never left me stranded. Other times it will fire right up will one turn of the switch. Ithink problem is stemming from the starter but not sure. Dont want to go and buy a new starter when a new starter is not the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help
Starter is going out, replace it. However, like mentioned above check all your grounds going from batteries to the starter and frame rails among the body grounds.

Originally Posted by Hooper
New to the dodge family. Having a little problem starting hot or cold. I have a Quadzilla adrenaline with an air dog 165 which is both a month and a half old. It is an 01 with 225K mile on it with a 6 speed. The problem has been going on for a good month or to but it's getting so bad if I take it somewhere I have to leave it running because it will be so hard to start. I did keep the fuel pressure at 13 psi and it got worse so upped it to 17 psi and it helped out some. When starting on a good day it could take a good min. but when its starting it acts like it is almost wanting to start but it just dont have enough pep in its step to presure up the injectors to atamize the fuel. It is not throwing any codes and probably pretty sure it is the brain of the injection pump that is giving problems but not sure. The lift pump is working and running good and when the engine is running it runs good. I have also did the ice test and I think that it did help out I think. I have 33 12.50 tires and I'm only getting 17 mpg, which I think should better because I pretty much baby it. If anybody can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks
Sounds like your getting air in the lines or your IP is going out. You can try to tighten the banjo bolt on the back of your head (drivers side) that may be the problem or your overflow valve may be going out, if not just comb over the entire fuel system and look for leaks.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM

Never heard of the over flow vavle....where is it located at?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by degil
Any suggestions on which connections I should check? This starting thing is recent (last week started happening exactly how diesel dude describes it) but for about a year now my speedo has been working on and off. Most of the time it just bobs around then falls to 0. I feel like it's an in dash issue as every once in a while the airbag light comes on and when I hit the dash it leaves. The abs and Pbrake lights remain on at all times and I have checked the rear diff sensor and the connection looks fine. I have been told to check for bad ground before but I'm not sure where to even begin. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
the speedo brake thing is your abs speed sensor not working right. its located on top of the rear dif replace it. the starter is on its way out