24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

98.5 has gone full dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No bailing wire in use here unless it's to get me home. Not being snotty just saying the industry that has sprung up around these pickups pushes alot of overpriced dodads that as a whole can be done without by the average day to day driver. If you live in the city and blow smoke and run big tires for show on the boulevard so be it. However, if you depend on it to take you to work everyday, not get stuck, haul a job box, trailer, etc., your 'bombing' revolves around making it go down the road and do it's job with a bare minimum of cash outlay. Not saying anything bad about the people who make their livings in the industry, just saying. By the way, if Dodge, Cummins, Bosch, the epa, and assorted other ah engineers would have kept their hands off the injection system of these pickups we wouldn't be having this conversation. Put a weak *** pusher pump 6' from it's fuel source and feed it to a fuel cooled and lubed half *** electric over mech inj pump and see what happens. New fuel filter was slightly jelled up on that sub zero day by the way. Somewhat surprised that blocking off air flow helped you out but raising the temp could have thinned the fuel out somewhat. Didn't think of that. The lower filter on some of my poor deluded 6.0 stroked drivin friends rigs had to have insulation wrapped around them to make it home from work. I complain alot but we could be on the 6.0 powerstroke forum right now.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, we would have problems then My fire engine at work is an 04 F-550 with the 6.0. It has less than 40k on the odometer and it has had the EGR valve replaced, turbo replaced and numerous other things...and because its the federal government (USFS) we can't do an EGR delete. The dealer said lots of idling will cause the EGR system to plug up sooner. We idle all the time on fire scenes so that sucks . This damn diesel world is addicting, I had my truck for two and a half years with no problems or BOMB's, then I got a deal on an airdog and Quadzilla...got them installed and realized I needed a better transmission after I toasted mine. I got that fixed and started paying attention to EGT's, found out they were too hot so I decided I needed a new exhaust, thats installed, now I'm thinking a compound turbo setup is incoming...it's a darn good thing my wife loves me and I have no kids!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true enough bros