24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

98.5 has gone full dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98.5 has gone full dead pedal

been nursing this for a year and a half, dead pedal sporadically, usually cleared up by turning ignition off and back on, white smoke, running rough then clears under heavy acceleration, drivability issues usually linked to electrics on top of vp44. Coming home from job in Denver yesterday and it went dead pedal, cycled key cleared up ran up to 50 or so did it again and again all the way home 120 miles with snow on the ground lots of fun. Still the same today. Read sticky about re soldering which i thought of 2 years ago but was told couldn't be done. Any feed back on this or any other ideas. Oh please don't make me strip my 95 one ton cuz i'm not playing anymore a ppump is coming

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM
cap
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get an apps sensor, which is what is probably going bad, for about 120 on pure diesel power.com i think.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the Voltage to the APPS?
I got lucky and this fixed my Dead Pedal Problem.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If your apps is bad, put is a request a quote price on here and support the vendors on THIS site

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Default nope

APPS isn't bad like i said this has been an ongoing deal have checked out pretty much everything, really wanted to know if anyone had had any luck with resoldering the connections on top of the pump

Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...ronic-fix.html

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Bandit One
APPS isn't bad like i said this has been an ongoing deal have checked out pretty much everything, really wanted to know if anyone had had any luck with resoldering the connections on top of the pump
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...ronic-fix.html

Last edited by turbo20psi; 01-02-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks turbo 20 already read the sticky looking to see if anyone else had tried it

Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Diesel Fan

put a holley inline pump off one of my parts pickups and the full time dead pedal went away, pretty loud though my 'new' stock lift pump was only puttin out 1-2 pounds what a pos. It was super cold the day i came home from denver and i think that coupled with the crappy carter was most of my problem, still intermittent though, was still wondering if anyone else had tried the electric, soldering fix for the vp44. Might give it a shot to get me through untill i find another 12 valve to rob the ppump etc. from. I'm not buying another vp44, fass, air dog etc. For the moment at least the used holley pump is holding 15 pounds and thats running through the carter. It's loud but if you've got one lying around it seems to do the job. No doubt it will crap out at some point but for the moment. By the way 'bombing' or whatever you want to call it is not just about ordering expensive parts and bolting them on. Thats like saying what orange county does is chopping a motorcycle. Maybe some of you have forgotten that.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was 10 hours from home when i started geting dead pedal, and it was snowing also i to started turning off ignition and noticed it got better on hills. after 3 hours of this i pulled over took nap and thought! i then thought it was du to temp so i stuck finger in radiator and it was supper cold. I then went to supermarket and borowed cardboard box and put in front of radiator problem solved. i still replaced vp44 when i got home.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Bandit, we know BOMBing is not just buying expensive parts and bolting them on; thats why if you read the "diversified BOMBers" thread you would see that most of us are mechanics in some way, shape or form. Maybe this thread should have been started here-------> https://www.dieselbombers.com/bomb-s...gineering.html

Quick Reply: 98.5 has gone full dead pedal