24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

wont run in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

So running 1/2 inch fuel line too much? I thought it would work with the new pump. Yeah, i know about the shop in Redding thats were DDP wants me to take the truck to get it dialed in. Their a week out on work and swamped. in sac shop, i cant find anyone locally that knows whats wrong. One problem is the shop has the stock filter on the engine. They ran 1/2 inch fuel line from the pump to the filter then stock fuel line to the vp-44. And to answer youre idle question, there is no rough idle runs at 800 rpm idle I got good throttle response. It drives good around town and on the fwy. But parking lots arent fun. On the plus side, it starts right up when it dies - got me ive checked everything. Starts good either cold or warmed up & sounds good with all the new parts. Everytime I have problems with the truck everyone points to the trans, new VP-44, new trans, new fuel system, new head gasket, arp head studs. I thought I was on the right path. The drivability isnt bad just shifting gears. Ford guys point and laugh but it starts right up - at least I can black out 2 lanes of trafic behind me . I finally got it to smoke some but am not used to that yet. As far as finding a shop, Ive been to 14 different shops in a year. Referrals and word of mouth havent found me a good shop locally. Yeah, the Redding shop is really good but a little far for me since its 3hr drive.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The larger lines they were trying was for the fuel lines between the VP44 and the injectors. On the fuel lines your referring to - 1/2 inch is great.

Here is the shop I had in mind that is in your local area. http://www.dieselnut.com/

Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks phone numbers disconected ????? dont know if hes still around but net,hadnt been by his shop yet

Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

He just added a new section to his shop so he should still be around. He is hard to get a hold of though. He stays busy travelling quite a bit I think and has staff that works the shop. Never been there myself but talked to him on the phone several times about parts.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah, Ill stop by some time check out dnm's shop, I got my exhauast and intake from dnm last year.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i went back to the shop that did all the work,first they said probably the new injectors surging its comin at idle stage 3,then they drove my truck they got it to die on them forward and reverese.first they were saying its stalling on incline surfaces,then flat surfaces.then the shop was saying that the symptoms for the truck point towards the tourqe converter,stalls to low and agressive its dropping the engine rpms,and stalling the engine,never had any problems with stalling ever.till the new head gasket and parts installed,then the shop says it could be the diesel feul in the tank,bad batch not enuff cetane,the shop put in some octane boost and drove my truck they said its not stalling as much.because of bad diesel .and the octane boost will help the truck from stalling ,and to drive the truck.so off to the trans shop again.to re check the trans and tourqe converter .on the way home my truck stalled in traffic,stop and go 5mph started right up.had eratic idle on the way home 40 miles.got home so far no stalling yet smooth idle,drives good at speed and fwy,city driven.i think its time to sell
"give:back to gas for me

Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

well when you put the tranny in reverse it puts more of a loado n the engine becasue it ahs to build much higher line pressure to hold the tranny in revers and basicaly spin it the oppistie direction than was originaly intended, thats why some guy up boost line pressure in older chevy trans blow the up when going into revers becasue the pressures are to high, however how that has anything to do with a head gasket fuel injectors and a fuel system makes no sense to me unless your getting less power at idle but it would have to be considerably less i think.....

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky
i went back to the shop that did all the work,first they said probably the new injectors surging its comin at idle stage 3,then they drove my truck they got it to die on them forward and reverese.first they were saying its stalling on incline surfaces,then flat surfaces.then the shop was saying that the symptoms for the truck point towards the tourqe converter,stalls to low and agressive its dropping the engine rpms,and stalling the engine,never had any problems with stalling ever.till the new head gasket and parts installed,then the shop says it could be the diesel feul in the tank,bad batch not enuff cetane,the shop put in some octane boost and drove my truck they said its not stalling as much.because of bad diesel .and the octane boost will help the truck from stalling ,and to drive the truck.so off to the trans shop again.to re check the trans and tourqe converter .on the way home my truck stalled in traffic,stop and go 5mph started right up.had eratic idle on the way home 40 miles.got home so far no stalling yet smooth idle,drives good at speed and fwy,city driven.i think its time to sell
"give:back to gas for me
There is something wrong with your injectors or fuel system. If you still had the factory sticks I would say put them back in and see if it still does it.

Andy

Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks for the advice guys,yeah i called the shop thats been trying to fix my truck i lucked out they havent sent back my old injectors back.so i scheduled a time to swap out the injectors,fuel lines fixed again factory fuel filter removed and 1/2 inch line from the vp-44 to the airdog fuel pump.im getting better fuel pressure.15 idle 14 driving around 12 wot
i drove the truck early today to.lower the fuel level so i can add fresh diesel,probably wont hurt or help.tranny shop did a service on my trans,the tranny is new acouple months anyhow they did.drain,new filter and refill doesnt seem any different to me still stalling.ill keep you guys posted if my truck gets fixed sold or still not running right.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

hey guys i think shes fixed,i read on the forum here where you can adjust the voltage of.the apps so i thaught hey it cant hurt .my apps sticker said 0.526 volts i found the right wire had my girlfriend hold the volt meter for me.slowed me down,but help me out,anyhow the reading i was getting before apps was 0.311 ,i adjusted the apps best i could get was 0.512 close enuff for me.then for good measure i reset the apps and battery discounect,let sit for 45 minutes,truck started right up idles better went and topped of the fuel tank with fresh diesel,so far it doesnt stall in forward or reverse hey what you know it stayed running wahooo and im getting more boost,sounds better when i throttle up,a little more smoke and no box or programmer.just injectors and exhaust.first time ever i can do burn outs never did that before.glad im a member here,thanks alot guys for all youre advice man glad thats over,man throttle respone is fun now cant wait to put my edge comp drag adition back on maybe tomarrow love the smoke now i see what you guys were talking about.

Quick Reply: wont run in reverse