24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

wont run in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Information wont run in reverse

help just got new injectors 110 hp put in .got a new fuel pump by the gas tank,truck runs good hard to start,if it sits for a while.when i go in reverse truck dies starts right up any ideas idle im getting.15 psi idle ,wot 12psi truck runs good on freeway and if i drive it alot.run around town its runs fin starts fine ,if i let it sit its hard to start and dies when i go in reverse.if i drive it alot dont let it sit it starts fine and runs good in reverse.new vp-44,new fuel pump new fuel lines,new injectors"give:ready to sell this thing, had it a year and everythings been replaced,havent dynoed the truck yet,havent go out and played yet,no drag racing no burn outs.heelllpppp

Last edited by spooky; 05-24-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Vegistrokin Bombardier
Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts

Man that sounds wierd...i have no clue but maybe some smart people will be along soon... good luck.

The following users liked this post:
spooky (05-24-2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Chad had this problem with his truck and he resett the APPS and all was fine

Resetting APPS

turn ignition on but dont start
slowly puh accelerator peddel to floor
slowly release peddel back to idle position
turn key off
start like normal and enjoy

spooky (05-24-2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Hard start after sitting for a while usually leans toward a leak somewere and the fuel draining back off the injector. Double check all your injector lines and all of your fuel lines. Your loosing your prime it sounds like. Watch the fuel preasure guage when you put it in reverse and see if it drops off when it goes to quit. Also try starting it, idle it up for about 30 seconds then try and see if it still does it. I'm thinking you have air in the lines or looseing prime. What type of fuel pump did you install? Check all fittings at the pump. I would also bleed the lines again and see if that helps.

Andy

Old 05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah tried the apps reset this morning ,seemed to help for acouple hours maybe ill try the apps reset again thanks guys.just got the truck back from the shop having the head gasket replaced the shop says they cant get to the truck till tues,yeah fuel problem is what i was thinking,yeah the shop i went to says its electrical???? or my vp-44 wich is new acouple months ago

Last edited by spooky; 05-24-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Diesel Bomber

My money is on a fuel leakdown on it. Try doing what I recomended and see what happens.

Andy

spooky (05-24-2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks dazed ill check my fuel lines for leaks or if there loose thanks.yeah air in the lines,i drove the truck home 40 miles yesterday drove good.if i go to nuetrul then revers its not too bad doesnt kill the engine or tried but doesnt
got home and it started dying at low speed,parking lots or going into reverse mainly??????????"give:
anyone want to buy a truck

Last edited by spooky; 05-24-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

Did it do it before the sticks. Did you put them in or have it done. I would check them out.

Andy

spooky (05-24-2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

truck ran great last week even with blow head gasket just not much power,i had a shop install a new head gasket.new arp head studs ,and new sticks ddp stage 3 and a new fuel air dog fuel pump out back by the tank and a vulcan draw straw,in the fuel tank one thing i found is on the intake manifold in the back theres supposed to be a plate the lift ring well it and the 2 bolts for it are missing,the other thing is the shop ran the 1/2 inch fuel line from the airdog to the stock fuel filter then stock fuel line to the vp-44 so yes i have 3 filters houston we have a problem,i orderd more fittings,and 1/2 fuel line from vulcan to fix this and to remove the stock fuel filter. the shop that worked on the truck cant fix and remove the old filter or figure out whats wrong with my truck till tues how.convenient now my trucks trying to die or dying when i go to drive now,i called ddp ross is recomending for me go to another shop ddp trusts.i might just do that,i got my line wrenches out the fuel lines seem tight,so got me,im thinking i shoulda stuck with a gas truck.i called air dog there recomending i remove the stock filter.from the air dog pump to much restriction 1/2 to stock fuel lines to vp-44.im happy with the new parts cant stand not trusting my truck.so no my trucks never ran like this even when the vp-44 went south

Last edited by spooky; 05-24-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

Well for one that stock fuel filter and housing need to go. My sytem is ran straight to the Vp. You have a problem with the fuel system, I would replace that line from there pump to the VP and see what that does. Also they may have one of the washers on the injectors damaged. I would do the fuel system fix and see what that does.

Andy

Quick Reply: wont run in reverse