24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

wont run in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah true,bugging me my.trucks not running right yeah i have new 10ft of 1/2 hose and new fittings on the way,ill have parts tues morning,ill be back at the shop tuesday.im not leaving to my truck runs right,one thing i thaught of is the intercooler hoses the clamps.i went out just now and checked em the passengers,side was tight i found 2 clamps on the drivers side they werent super tight,i tighten to i couldnt tighten no more,i wasnt getting much for boost before-blown head gasket 13psi,after head gasket 16,so i tightened everything up the intercooler boots and now im getting 20 psi boost. im going to let the truck cool acouple hours and drive it to see of theres still an issue of it not wanting to idle in reverese.and when i got the line wrenches out 2 of the fuel lines i could get too,on the vp-44
i snugged up not super tight just snug,i apreciate all that gave me 411 hopefully it runs good now,im almost out of asprin.got plenty beer and whiskey:pc:.now i gotta get a new girlfriend ,shes the reson i need the beer,asprin for the truckafter this im waitning a while till my next bomb,bd turbo,bd exhaust

Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

just got home from a drive still dying in reverese and now starting to do it when i go into drive???? go from park to drive itll either lug and rpms drop to 500rpm then itl, stay running or fall on its face but starts right up
me and the family were planning on going camping this weekend.i cancled dont trust the truck,gotta wait till tuesday arrrgggg.if the shop that did the recent work can figure out whats going on,ill keep the truck a little while longer.if not the truck is gone no more diesel for me.ill go back to gas ive had the truck a year and its been a really long year.of repairs broken parts fuel problems, dont get me wrong diesels are really nice.just not for i guess,been to alot of different shops trying to find a decent one havent found one yet.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I would try bleeding off the injectors again and see if there might be a small airbubble in the system.

Andy

Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah ive checked everything i could i was out working on the truck till midnight,i checked all the intercooler boots ,fuel lines and i did bleed the fuel lines-injectors,checked all the electrical got me,the truck runs good on the freeway or off idle,and when i come to a stop it idles good,but go to reverse itll die or go to forward from park ittl die."give:

Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Interesting - common on a 12V but not so much on a 24V.

Have you scanned for codes?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah no codes,trucks starts fine idles good go to reverse itll lug then die
now it starting to do it in drive???? go me i cant figure it out trucks never done this till the head gasket and injectors.new fuel pump the shop that worked on the truck cant fix the truck till tuesday they told me there busy till tues.doesnt make sense to me it runs great on the freeway or around town low speed sounds ok.trying to park it dies ??????

Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

what about the tourqe converter the shop that rebuilt my trans last year,said the tranny was hd,but no billiet just went to there shop cost 50 bucks to test drive and look at my trans they said its the tourqe converter ???does this sound right i dont wanna rebuild or replace the trans it only has 24k miles on it and cost 4k bucks last year i know i got ripped
so shoul i get a sun coast trans or any ideas i know full billet heeeellllllpppp ready to sell to much drama for me

Last edited by spooky; 05-25-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

It could be locking up and that maybe what is causing your problems. If you just started noticing it since the headgasket start looking at the wires and see if maybe they got some caught somewere or put a nick in it.

Andy

Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah still looking,really weird no problems ran fine even with a blown head gasket,now all sorts of problems,i know its not the ddp injectors or the air dog fuel pump,im getting better mpg,thou just gotta fix the low rpm problems

Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

A few years back I remember some guys talkin about runnin oversized injector fuel lines. One of the problems they were trying to figure out was the truck dying in reverse. Like you mentioned earlier they could go from Drive to Nuetral then into Reverse and it would be fine, but right from Drive to Reverse killed it. I don't think line size is your problem, just that it could very well be a fuel delivery problem. Have you had any rough idle problems by any chance.

You also have a High Performance Diesel shop right there in town and another up in Redding. Don't know where you have been taking it but these are shops that speacialize in our trucks.

The following users liked this post:
spooky (05-25-2007)

Quick Reply: wont run in reverse