1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Violent Clicking Relay!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

update...........Ok via the phone Ronda at the truck in Texas and me on the sofa in Why-homing here is what we come up with

I had Rhonda turn the key on and physically locate the relay that is goin nuts, had her pull the relay before it trashes itself, at this time she has everything she needs for power in the wrecker so she is going to work with it, we still dont know what this relay is powering but whatever it is there are some wiring issues before she can go back with it.....she has nothing telling her what these relays are powering so anyone with a 89-93 that knows the relays please jump in here

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 151 Posts

I was reading and following the post, but have no wiring diagram of the truck accessible. But I would like to know what brand the battery is. My first impression was a dead battery.
Because my alternator becomes also really (really)hot after start and I know that it pushes back the charge the battery demands.
Following the thread.

Last edited by Deezel Stink3r; 04-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

what relay where? I can check mine after work.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Site Mascot

I think she said the third one from the front........if I remember correctly here anyway

Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Site Mascot

Originally Posted by Deezel Stink3r
. My first impression was a dead battery. .

mine too exactly, I didnt ask her but am now wondering if this is a 2 battery system, the truck starts right up I heard it and it was cranking good so the battery that feeds the starter is good...was wondering if all accesories are feed from the second battery and it is so dead it cant keep the relays feed with power

keep in mind electrical is my weakness here but I try hard

Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

a 2 battery system would just run both batteries in parallel, it would also be a conversion? never seen one with 2 batts before.

Looked in the books I have and it doesn't show those relays, pretty sure mine are dying or not even working at all from the looks of them, i'll have to trace the rats nest of wires to see what it goes to.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One battery system and it's a new heavy duty battery large enough to run a tractor. There are 3 relays on the driver's fender wall. The clicking one that we d/c was in the middle. After I got off the phone with Whit, I found:
https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-val...er-ground.html
and
http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Grid_...alSup-14-4.jpg
So, I went back and took off what I thought was a large ground wire off of the grid. I also took every wire off of the grid heater relay which is located on the driver's wheel well. Turned the key and Check Engine still blinking off and on so it would be clicking had the relay been plugged in.
Now, the computer basically controls the heater grid and voltage regulation. Is that all? What do you guys think about just d/c the computer. Does it control something else important because I'll unwire it and forget we ever met. I feel like I'm working on a FORD: Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

gaaa, click those underlined links. Sorry!

Last edited by BrokenG; 04-06-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the pictures:

no1: just make sure the wire does not contact the metal and each line is seperated from the other.
no2. nothing unusual to see here...
no3: Are those 3 orange caps 110V wire connectors? If so they have to go!
I think clean up has to start here.
no4: Please grab a wire brush and clean the connector at the end of the red wire at the sheet metal.

Attached Thumbnails Violent Clicking Relay!-plugwire.jpg   Violent Clicking Relay!-regwires.jpg   Violent Clicking Relay!-links.jpg   Violent Clicking Relay!-grounds.jpg  

Last edited by Deezel Stink3r; 04-06-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, when I had the grid stuff d/c earlier, the voltage was still jumping. Engine is not warm so I assume it's still working or something else is drawing my voltage but I don't know what it would be!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you compare picture number three with the printed manual in the upper corner you can see a black cable and a red cable wired to the grid heater relay. Do you know where they go? Because they do not belong to the heater unit.
To make it worse the black one is crimped to a yellow one drilled together with one of those 110V househöold connectors and escaping in different routes.

It would be nice to know what is controlled by them.

Quick Reply: Violent Clicking Relay!