12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

heartbroken

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

well the truck is comin home on the trailer behind my buddies stroke today, guess i'll see what kinda carnage that little sucker did...

Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

x2 I'm near delta
Not sure if I would brag about that....LMAO!

The KDP got me twice in less than 20k way back when i first got my truck.Stetler Dodge did the first one under warranty,but,they didn't have a updated cover out yet.The second one they blamed on the pump work which they then voided the warranty so it was towed to a different shop to have it done the way I wanted it done.KDP is a serious issue that is possible in ALL trucks,12v and 24v,up to mid year 2000 when the updated front case came out.

Since your in the Williamsport area there are two options for good shops within a hour or so drive if you choose to have it done by a shop instead of yourself.Garofalo Enterprises up in Scranton and Carson Stauffer Diesel Service down in Port Treverton.Either shop is capable of doing the repair and both have good reputations.Both are well known among the pullers in our area.

if it doesn't continue to rain I will be up in the area tommorrow for the Mopar show at Van Campen Dodge which is held in front of Webb Communictaions off of Maynard Street.If you would like another set of eyes to inspect the damage I would be glad to after the show......Andy

Old 09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that sucks!!!!! wonder how many miles were onher?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer
Not sure if I would brag about that....LMAO!

The KDP got me twice in less than 20k way back when i first got my truck.Stetler Dodge did the first one under warranty,but,they didn't have a updated cover out yet.The second one they blamed on the pump work which they then voided the warranty so it was towed to a different shop to have it done the way I wanted it done.KDP is a serious issue that is possible in ALL trucks,12v and 24v,up to mid year 2000 when the updated front case came out.

Since your in the Williamsport area there are two options for good shops within a hour or so drive if you choose to have it done by a shop instead of yourself.Garofalo Enterprises up in Scranton and Carson Stauffer Diesel Service down in Port Treverton.Either shop is capable of doing the repair and both have good reputations.Both are well known among the pullers in our area.

if it doesn't continue to rain I will be up in the area tommorrow for the Mopar show at Van Campen Dodge which is held in front of Webb Communictaions off of Maynard Street.If you would like another set of eyes to inspect the damage I would be glad to after the show......Andy
yeah I prob should keep that one on the down low

Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Diesel Wrench

well the truck is back home here n i got it all torn apart, the pin fell out onto the garage floor when i removed the cover. its pretty beat up and ground down, but there's no damage to the gears. i need to know how to properly remove the cam and also the pump gear. also contemplating bumpin the timing while im in there. im going to post some pics up here soon n have u guys tell me if i can have the case tig welded. thank you all for your help

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

to remove the cam you need to hold the lifters up the way i would do it is take off the tappet cover on the right side of the block and use zip ties or clothes pins to hold them up i tried the way of useing dowl rods and broke 2 of my liffters

Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

to pull the cam

line the marks on the cam gear up with the marks on the crank or make your own mark
I pull the lifters
pull the pushrods
stick some 1/2 wooden dowl rods in the lifters to hold them up
pull the pump gear
ramove the cam retainer
and the cam should pull out
when the cam is out I like to put a peice of pvc pipe in place of the cam just in case one of the wooden dowls falls out of the lifter.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and why do you wanna weld the case?

Last edited by 94 12valve; 09-13-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

that pvc thing is a darn good idea, and if i can get the case tig welded, it'd save me the 280 for the new gear housing

Old 09-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

oh and you need to remove the mechanical lift pump before you pull the cam

Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Diesel Wrench

10-4 thanks, hey tater how ya comin with your rig?