12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 94cummins12v
thats because it was used and abused, you will get the same thing out of a southbend, if it aint made to do several boosted launches it will slip as well
I have to disagree, I Boost launched a 650+ RWHP truck on a FE rated at 550RWHP for over a year and never slipped it unless it got REALLY hot.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres what im looking at...

looking at the

This Dyna Max kit features a variation from organic to organic and feramic or all feramic linings with marcelled fins. The pressure plate is modified for higher plate load and smoothness of engagement. This clutch was designed to cure premature disk failure due to high horse power and heavy hauling in the 5 speed and early 6 speed non-ETH 12 1/4" clutches. We have taken the 13" ETH clutch and modified it to accept the 1 1/4" input shaft. By doing this, it enabled us to offer a disk center that is 2-3 times larger and stronger than can be provided in the 12 1/4" clutch kits. This kit comes with a flywheel, re-drilled and refaced to accept the larger clutch and is rated to handle up to 475 horsepower & 1000 ft. lbs. of torque. Years 1988-2004 5 speed & 6 speed non-ETH.

but at the same time on southbend main page they say that clutch is only good for 450hp and 900 tq then it reads like that...

is this a good clutch for me... everyone i have talked to that i use for advice is saying a southbend clutch is the way to go is this clutch im looking at a dual disc or single? is that going to hurt me for what im doing?? im not draggin the truck or sled pulling and i dont pull more then 10k but i do like to get into it with the occasional burn out if need be and money permits ahaha

Thanks guys

Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

we have not have any clutches fly apart, and cheap, well lets say we are willing to settle for reasonable profit, we sell 10-15k units in clutches a year, you would think there would be more evidence to back up your claim out there, as far as warranty goes no one has a better warranty than us, so lets see your proof of what you claim, if its out there then lets see it.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

we have not have any clutches fly apart.
REALLY?????....
Are you SURE????....
I know of more than one that I have seen at two local shops that owners bought of the internet and did the install only to have them come apart.I guess I should have taken photo's so I had the proof you so desire to back up my claim.I am amazed at how companies like you can stand on the premise that your perfect and so are your parts and what people have seen with their own two eyes is not true.

You claim 10-15k units sold and I would say that could be true,if you count all the other markets you sell clutches in.I'd say 10-15k of performance diesel pick-up clutch sales is a stretch but who am I to say as you can skew the number all you want to prove your right.

I am entitiled to my opinon and my say on your units.I know what I have seen and just because no one else will say it does not mean I am going to be silent on it.You say reasonable cost I say cheap,there is no difference and in the grand scheme of things if you fit that lower budget niche,then good for you.

As For you 94cummins12v.....
I have yet to see a SBC,Haisley Machine or a EEP double disc ever slip in boosted launches.I have seen a Valair do more than that when doing one and that owner is now a SBC customer because of the failure.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

not to add any fuel to this fire but I could not be happier with my sbc 3850 dual disk shifts super smooth and does not slip. I have never run a valair clutch so I have no say in that matter

Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i havent skewed any numbers if anything they are low,yes this number is combined but all diesel clutches, we sell around 500 plus a month in Performance clutches, and 1000 plus per month in class 6,7,8. this is definetly a trial and error business, when we first started about 5-6 years ago in the performance business we found out it was a very tough market, you are definetly entitled to your own opinion, as every other person, but if our product was as bad as you say then wouldnt it be all over the internet. any company doing alot of business will have a problem now and then its how you take care of the customer after the sale, i bend over backwards in most situations wether its our fault or there's. you say fly apart be more clear on this are you talking about the disc or the pressure plate, yes we have had some disc's come apart, as every other supplier in the business. most of those failures were the oem type hub that we no longer offer in the performance line. as far a slip goes, pick any clutch you want i can slip it with my truck gauranteed. there may be alot more factors to consider. and as far as cheap goes,
you evidently dont know me very well or how i do business. Our shop has a open door policy anyone anytime can come check us out and we will show you what we do and what we use. oh and one last comment i'm not perfect i'm just a regular person trying to do the best job i can at least when i do make a mistake i will admit it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

SBC does build a good clutch.

Last edited by Valair1; 09-05-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to agree!

Both clutches are top of the line.

No longer than Valair performance clutches have been on the market, i would say that they have held there own in the market very well. I run a Valair DD and it has never slipped no matter what gear i launch in or what ever i hook to and i will continue to run them. JMO!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Have I ever sold one of your clutches? Have I ever called or spoken to you directly? I have no problem with your clutch personally, I have taken a number of them out DUE TO CUSTOMER REQUEST and installed sbc's. Now with that said, I dont know the real reason they wanted to take them out....maybe they just wanted a southbend...I'm not sure. Now if you would like to have a conversation, and you can assure me you'll back a clutch for my customer I have NO problem what so ever using your clutches. I've got 4 or 5 trucks that will be upgrading soon , All of which are above 600 to the tires.
My numbers all over diesel bombers, give me a call tuesday and we'll discuss it. I would like to hear the benifits to your clutches. If I feel I can offer my customers somthing where we've lacked before, I'd be more than happy to work with you!

Originally Posted by Valair1
i havent skewed any numbers if anything they are low,yes this number is combined but all diesel clutches, we sell around 500 plus a month in Performance clutches, and 1000 plus per month in class 6,7,8. this is definetly a trial and error business, when we first started about 5-6 years ago in the performance business we found out it was a very tough market, you are definetly entitled to your own opinion, as every other person, but if our product was as bad as you say then wouldnt it be all over the internet. any company doing alot of business will have a problem now and then its how you take care of the customer after the sale, i bend over backwards in most situations wether its our fault or there's. you say fly apart be more clear on this are you talking about the disc or the pressure plate, yes we have had some disc's come apart, as every other supplier in the business. most of those failures were the oem type hub that we no longer offer in the performance line. as far a slip goes, pick any clutch you want i can slip it with my truck gauranteed. there may be alot more factors to consider. and as far as cheap goes,
you evidently dont know me very well or how i do business. Our shop has a open door policy anyone anytime can come check us out and we will show you what we do and what we use. oh and one last comment i'm not perfect i'm just a regular person trying to do the best job i can at least when i do make a mistake i will admit it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

SBC does build a good clutch.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Ive had customers that are running SB want to order a Valair Clutch due to having issues with theres and they want to try something different. But ive also had people want a SB due to having issues with there Valair. No clutch is perfect!! My truck has a Valair and I am very happy with it so far. If I have any issues I feel very confident that Dan and Kevin will take care of me not only as a vendor but as a customer. ANY single disc clutch will start to slip if you have done enough boosted launches, slip it or get it very hot.

Not to cause any issues but I use to offer both Valair and SB to give my customers an option on what they want to run in there truck. Well after about 1 month of offering Valair Peter @ SB decides he doesn't want me saleing SB if im going to also offer Valair. So I made a business decision and decided to just offer Valair if this is the way Peter is going to treat a Vendor.

My .02 is that buy the one you want as you can't go wrong with either one but save yourself some $$$$ and get a Valair.

Luke

Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

but if our product was as bad as you say then wouldnt it be all over the internet.
I disagree with that statement completely.
Many products are all over the internet which are not what they say they are and yet people still pimp them and say how great they are.Tell me why you should be or are any different than any other company who does the same thing.

I have seen 3 of your units recently that have failed miserably....
2 of which were daily drivers that had the centers tore out of the disc.Neither unit was from your early era of units and despite what happened those 2 owners took it in good spirits and had the units tossed,considered the money lost and moved onto a proven unit.Both of those owners bought your units off of the internet against what some of us all tried to tell them because they believed in what they read on the interent,not real world experience.

The 3rd unit that I seen broken of your was a destruction beyond comprehension.The clutch came apart on a Friday Nite test and Tune locally here at a drag strip and that young man is lucky he he ran a SFI blanket.What exactly happened to that clutch is yet a mystery and all I can say is when I seen what was left of his clutch and bell housing it made me a believer in the extra cost for a blanket.From the parts that were left and not in tiny pieces it looked to me like the pressure plate came apart as he dropped the hammer at the line.There was way too much destruction to even make a definite determination of what or where the issues really started.That young man was again one who didn't listen to what some of us tried to tell him and how we tried to make him believe he should have used a SFI approved unit.At the time he wasn't even going to use a blanket but I made him install the one I had as I never used it and do not use my truck for anything other than dyno events.That blanket saved him from something that could have been a devastating incident.His truck now has a full billet,manual valve body automatic in it and he is done with sticks.

So say what you want and I will stick by my guns on cheaper cost does not mean anything when it comes to product quality.If your product was that good and made from the same materials as some of the other competition units out there,yours would be the same as the rest for cost.Is your ok for the budget minded owner who does not much more than drive on the street,maybe.But I would never trust one on/in any type of competition diesel truck until I see a SFI tag and them being used by competitors instead of just John Q Publik-the internet product pimping man.

ANY clutch can have issues,we all know that.There are shops who just sell clutches and there are shops who build them,use them and stand behind their product.To me its those shops who know their product inside and out and are trying to ensure a better product instead of bragging about being all over the internet that I want to deal with.The product alone will do the hype work,people do not need to and thats when your onto something.

In closing I will say this...
I have reached out to those who had the issues with your units here in my area.I have asked them to stop by,register and post their thoughts about your product and their experiences.What they do is up to them as I have asked so maybe you can have a nice fireside chat with them as you do not believe me.

I will ask you this Mr.Valair and I have asked it before in other threads about your units...

Can You name Me ONE KNOWN performance diesel pick-up who runs your clutch in ANY major sanctioning body(sled pulling or drag racing)and had success with it?.........Andy