12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutches

so today while i was driving to work i felt my clutch slip in 5th gear for the first time.... imagine that haha we all knew it would happen 167000 on the clock with the original clutch in it so now its time to find a clutch for me

what clutches is everyone running?

what are the pros and cons to the different clutches?

im looking for one to support roughly 400 hp

should i run organic?

this is a daily driver street truck with the occasional 5-10k pull to go wheelin i want something that is all around good "well rounded"

last but not least what should i expect to pay for one??

Thanks guys

Chris

Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valair is what Iam going to put in mine. For the price you cant beat them. You just need to shop around. some people like valair some people like southbend. I have heard alot of stuff about both of them good and bad. The only thing I have seen with my eyes, My friend has a 98 dodge 12v with the southbend his springs broke on his. About 1 1/2 years on the clutch. i have heard the same thing about the valair clutchs, but havent seen it yet I have some friends running them. so far so good.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The springs breaking on the SBC was a warranty item for most of them. I had a spring failure on my FE clutch after 3 years and 100,000 miles of abuse. It was replaced NO CHARGE by Peter himself. I have been an SBC fan since 1998 and first getting on the message boards, and always read the stories about his customer service. Now I know it first hand. SBC is my ONLY recommendation!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

SBC or Haisley Machine,simply put the best two clutches out there for our trucks and the best customer service......Andy

Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer
SBC or Haisley Machine,simply put the best two clutches out there for our trucks and the best customer service......Andy
false again hammer, you forgot Valair

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm not big on valair, I've been in a few trucks with em. No real complaints , I've taken quite a few damaged one's out for a southbend replacement. Now, With that said Valair and southbend are very similar, although Valair WILL NOT stand behind a clutch like Southbend or Haisley. I mean....I'm the idiot that welded my 3850 DD ....And did a dern good job at it too...Peter replaced it ...No questions asked! Not to mention there's some post on this board where I took a Con FE over 650 to the tires and I got a $500.00 credit on my DD when Peter saw that I had broken the entire center section apart...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i sell valair and south bend

Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by mysterync
I'm not big on valair, I've been in a few trucks with em. No real complaints , I've taken quite a few damaged one's out for a southbend replacement. Now, With that said Valair and southbend are very similar, although Valair WILL NOT stand behind a clutch like Southbend or Haisley. I mean....I'm the idiot that welded my 3850 DD ....And did a dern good job at it too...Peter replaced it ...No questions asked! Not to mention there's some post on this board where I took a Con FE over 650 to the tires and I got a $500.00 credit on my DD when Peter saw that I had broken the entire center section apart...
i had my 13" full ceramic 6speed conversion clutch, flyweel plate and pressure plate for 650 delivered. did a few boosted launches with it and it was slipping pulling a trailer. called valair up and they payed for the shipping to ship mine back to them and sent a new one out no chrage. i would have to say thats awsome customer service, in my opinion stand behind them 100% valair has been making heavy duty truck clutches for years

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

13" ceramic valair 6sp clutch (slippin),
Hmmmm...
Hows that Valair working out for you????....Oh thats right,it slips.

The ONLY thing Valair has going for them is one word........CHEAP!

And Cheap does not mean quality nor does it help when their junk flies apart like many I have seen.

Back in 99 I had a old school EEP double installed in my truck and I got over 100k out of it and it NEVER slipped.Even when the pressure plate broke a finger I could still drive it without slippage.It was taken apart and rebuilt and lies in my shop as a spare ready to go for more abuse if needed.

The Haisley Street/Drag I had installed was a deal done by a local shop who only installed their units and since I needed a clutch now I ended up with one instead of a SBC.The Street/Drag double that I have is the smoothest driving double disc I have ever driven and the most user friendly.I have now over 40k on it and no matter what I have done it never has slipped but it has destroyed a set of tires or two.

So Valair you say,I say come and see me after you get more than 50k on your without slipping then we can compare notes until then I will stick to the companies whose products speak for themselves and their customer service is second to NO ONE in the industry..

So again....
South Bend Clutch or Haisley Machine,simply put,the BEST units that an owner can install in his or her truck hands down....Why accept second best when your trying to apply the power to the ground.......Andy

Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Hammer
Hmmmm...
Hows that Valair working out for you????....Oh thats right,it slips.

The ONLY thing Valair has going for them is one word........CHEAP!

And Cheap does not mean quality nor does it help when their junk flies apart like many I have seen.

Back in 99 I had a old school EEP double installed in my truck and I got over 100k out of it and it NEVER slipped.Even when the pressure plate broke a finger I could still drive it without slippage.It was taken apart and rebuilt and lies in my shop as a spare ready to go for more abuse if needed.

The Haisley Street/Drag I had installed was a deal done by a local shop who only installed their units and since I needed a clutch now I ended up with one instead of a SBC.The Street/Drag double that I have is the smoothest driving double disc I have ever driven and the most user friendly.I have now over 40k on it and no matter what I have done it never has slipped but it has destroyed a set of tires or two.

So Valair you say,I say come and see me after you get more than 50k on your without slipping then we can compare notes until then I will stick to the companies whose products speak for themselves and their customer service is second to NO ONE in the industry..

So again....
South Bend Clutch or Haisley Machine,simply put,the BEST units that an owner can install in his or her truck hands down....Why accept second best when your trying to apply the power to the ground.......Andy

thats because it was used and abused, you will get the same thing out of a southbend, if it aint made to do several boosted launches it will slip as well