12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Clutch install and removal HOW to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got trans seperated and pulled back from the eng block..i took out the shifter .the video helped but it didnt come out as easily as in that video though but it did come out.the throwout bearing was in pieces and the clutch fork arm is scored.(hope i can find another one quick as i dont want to rent the trans jack for more than a few days.)the clutch covers teeth are broken,some of them and there is a lot of dirt and oil inside there.i think the previous owner just dogged and went offroad whereever he felt like.the clutch is an aftermarket type but you can pick it up from from a local parts store.I dont know when it was installed but i think i should replace it since i have a new one although it is local parts store brand.especially with all that grime in the clutch area.with it raining off and on i didnt get the cluch cover off though,hopefully the weather will hold and i can get that off and then begin the install.
is there any bearing or pieces behind the clutch fork?a pic would be appreciated since the release bearing was shredded.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

just the two clip things that hold it to the clutch fork. if it doesn't look weak, just scorned, I wouldn't really worry about it. I've done the shift stub a few times, first time took me about an hour.
When you say clutch cover teeth do you mean the pressure plate? I would replace it if you have the money and it's already apart. I've got a Napa clutch in mine and it held up pretty well until I had to drive 700 miles with only 4th gear.
If you don't have it figured out by tomorrow night I think I'm pulling mine tomorrow and I'll throw up some pics.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kazairl
get a bottle jack and a 2x4 and jack up on the front of your engine. That will tilt the engine and give you enough room to clear the shift tower. Put the board between the jack and the oil pan so you don't dent the pan.

Also get a couple ratchet straps and strap the tranny down to the jack so it doesn't roll off on you.

ANd I hear ya about the pouring rain part. I' ve been trying to put my transfer case in for a week now
oh come on i pulled, upgraded and reinstalled my transfercase when it was a ice storm at -16* outside last winter after i blew it up

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

there is about an eighth of metal removed near the slave side on the clutch fork and maybe a 16th or so in the middle.i am going to fit and see if what it does.
i welcome all pics and tips.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 94cummins12v
oh come on i pulled, upgraded and reinstalled my transfercase when it was a ice storm at -16* outside last winter after i blew it up

What can I say I'm a wimp. That and I still have a Bronco and Motorcycle to drive.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by will1am
there is about an eighth of metal removed near the slave side on the clutch fork and maybe a 16th or so in the middle.i am going to fit and see if what it does.
i welcome all pics and tips.

I would replace it. If it is worn too much you will have a hard time getting the clutch to release which will cause hard shifting. Also Lube(LIGHTLY) the splines on the input shaft when you go back together.

Last edited by kazairl; 06-16-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

almost got the trans on and it slid off the jack but not onto the floor just enough to angle it out.now i need to get it out from under the truck and put it back on the jack.unless get it back on underneath the truck somehow.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by kazairl
Also get a couple ratchet straps and strap the tranny down to the jack so it doesn't roll off on you.
I told you.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

that sucks. i always forget about that working on a stock truck. i can sit up underneath mine.

if you have some big jack stands you might just jack up the truck up.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i did have the trans strapped down but it wasnt tight enough.i might remove the bellhousing to get it back on and under the truck again.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i am having a hell of a time getting the trans back on.most videos i have looked at show the person putting the trans back on without a strap and moving the trans around to fit it back on.i am trying to pivot the engine downward too.any tips would be appreciated

Last edited by will1am; 06-18-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

How is your clutch plate alignment? That needs to be pretty much dead on other wise it is a royal pain in the a$$. Also stick the tranny in 4th gear(or any gear) so you can turn the inoput shaft while you are trying to shove it in.

Also DON'T FORCE IT! IF it won't slide in with gentle persuasion then adjust your angles or do something because forcing it will cause parts to break.

Quick Reply: Clutch install and removal HOW to?