5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

IF THE LIFT PUMP GOES OUT DO YOU PUT ONE IN THE TANK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus60
These pumps are much more reliable than the cannister mount and will work for moderate HP increases.

In-tank pump is the only one available at the dealer, Genos garage is carrying a replacement pump for the canniste rmounts at a reasonable price. If you have any power upgrades planned opt for an AD or FASS and modify the fuel cannister.
Originally Posted by NadirPoint
The current fuel "system" design is good. The in-tank pump works great and has plenty of capacity for up to around 400HP. Deny it all you want, but I have proven this myself on my own '07.
Would you consider a Smarty Jr. as a moderate power(I would NOT)? I personally have seen a truck draw the LP to 0 with "just" a Smarty Jr.

IMHO the intank pump is borderline on a completely stock truck and if the truck doesn't already have an intank pump, don't let them install one and go with one of the aftermarket pumps.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by falaconic
for warranty work, you might as well go with the in-tank, but if you want durability, then spend the money on an aftermarket solution, the in-tank is slightly better than the canister mount, but still very unreliable.
Horseshit. Automobiles of all kinds have been using in tank pumps for decades simply due to the inherent reliability in an in-tank electric design.
Originally Posted by scrappy
Would you consider a Smarty Jr. as a moderate power(I would NOT)? I personally have seen a truck draw the LP to 0 with "just" a Smarty Jr.
Maybe with a clogged fuel filter.
IMHO the intank pump is borderline on a completely stock truck
Mine holds 6psi at WOT, SW2 pushing through three filters.
...and if the truck doesn't already have an intank pump, don't let them install one and go with one of the aftermarket pumps.
$600 fuel system-in-a-box? Riiight. Keep the system as designed for best results. If it wasn't for the mistake of the filter-mounted pumps, Air Dog and FASS would not exist today. They got lucky with Cummins' mistake. Yes Cummins, not Dodge. Check the warranty details. The LP was part of the engine warranty for the filter pumps. Not a Dodge issue at all for you people who like to take that tack. Dodge fixed Cummins' problem with the in tank pump.

Y'all need to stop living in the past and get your facts straight.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 04-15-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Horseshit. Automobiles of all kinds have been using in tank pumps for decades simply due to the inherent reliability in an in-tank electric design.

I guess that is why all the autoparts stores carry so many electric pumps, they have to have something to fill their shelves with since we all know they aren't selling them!

Maybe with a clogged fuel filter.

Nope, brand NEW filter

Mine holds 6psi at WOT, SW2 pushing through three filters.

Do you call a Smarty(or JR) on level 2 moderate? that is a big NEGATIVE, you can't get any more MILD than that. A Smarty on level 2 is ONLY 30 hp, and is NOWHERE near 400 hp. it is actually closer to 310-350 depending on the yr of truck.

$600 fuel system-in-a-box? Riiight. Keep the system as designed for best results. If it wasn't for the mistake of the filter-mounted pumps, Air Dog and FASS would not exist today. They got lucky with Cummins' mistake. Yes Cummins, not Dodge. Check the warranty details. The LP was part of the engine warranty for the filter pumps. Not a Dodge issue at all for you people who like to take that tack. Dodge fixed Cummins' problem with the in tank pump.

Y'all need to stop living in the past and get your facts straight.
Practice what Ya preach!

I would rather NOT have to drop my tank when (NOT IF!) the in-tank pump fails especially if it does so with 35 gal. in it! at least with the filter mounted pump or aftermarket systems you can do the repair on the side of the road without having to have the truck towed! Please show me a stock in-tank pump that will support 400 hp. the only in-tank pump that I have seen that would was a Walbro(and it was NOT mounted in-tank, aftermarket Glacier diesel kit)!

The filter mounted pump was spec'ed BY DODGE so it IS Dodge that is to blame! None of the other applications that I have seen that use the ISB have an electric pump mounted on the engine. Or trying to push anywhere the hp levels they are in the Dodge p/u's

Last edited by scrappy; 04-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes they have. as a matter of fact almost all vehicles are equipped as such, but this pump obviously doesn't have the capability that it should since there are numerous 04.5-up diesels out there still replacing the in tank pump due to failures that happen just as much as the filter mount LPs, and that is a much more extensive repair than even the filter mounted LP. personally i would much rather replace the filter mount LP every 3-4 months with 180 bucks and 20 mins invested as opposed to replacing the in tank every 4-5 months with substantially more money and quite a bit more time invested.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by falaconic
yes they have. as a matter of fact almost all vehicles are equipped as such, but this pump obviously doesn't have the capability that it should since there are numerous 04.5-up diesels out there still replacing the in tank pump due to failures that happen just as much as the filter mount LPs, and that is a much more extensive repair than even the filter mounted LP. personally i would much rather replace the filter mount LP every 3-4 months with 180 bucks and 20 mins invested as opposed to replacing the in tank every 4-5 months with substantially more money and quite a bit more time invested.
I don't know where you are getting "numerous 04.5-up diesels out there still replacing the in tank pump" from becuase its just not true. FYI, the in-tank pumps did not start until MY 05.

The in-tank failures are very, very, few on the newer trucks. I have heard of more failures in the retrofits than any of the factory in-tanks. Can you say installer error? The in-tanks just don't fail that often and for the most part if they do its contamination that is causing it.

The factory tank pump is quite capable of outputting 20-25 psi IF one removes the factory fuel dump that limits the pressure to 7-8 psi. They are way more capable than setup from the factory, that capability is just not needed in a factory tune so the excess fuel is used to keep the cannister full.

As for supplying fuel, mine doesn't drop under 4 psi until I use the 2 highest Smarty tunes. It is holding around 5 psi on SW #6. A buddy of mine that runs hotshot has over 400k on an 06 with in-tank pump and it will still hold plenty of pressure on the smarty tunes. The same injectors for 400k also and the solenoids are failing but the rest is working fine.

They are like the rest of the fuel system parts, clean fuel makes them live much longer happier lives.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Diesel Fan

well i say congrats to your buddy, im glad he got a good one. but i also met a guy at the dealership today working on his 3rd intank on his 07 and the rest of the fuel system is working just like it should. maybe we just need to start getting fuel from wherever your buddy is getting fuel from.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

One truck does not make it a problem. If that were so don't you think every other post on these forums would be about the pump dying and every dealership would have trucks lined up waiting for replacements?

There are about 6 prominent diesel forums on the internet, just see how many in-tank pump faulires you can find, then, see if you can find an actual reason for the failure. Thats 1% or less of all the diesel truck owners and its not even on the radar.

As for where to get the fuel, he buys at every truck stop possible across the US. The key is all fuel is filter to 2 micron into the main tank. There are a lot of us with moderate bombs and still running the in-tank pump with no issues well over 100k.

Unanimous consensus, much better than the fiter mounted pump and quite adequate for the bulk of the uses.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 AM

I have an '03. Pump went shortly after buying it. Was on warrenty so they installed an in the tank pump. That lasted about 4 years before it went. I stuck a bd diesel pump on the frame and haven't had a problem yet. Their kit gets you to cut out the electric pump in the intank stock pump and put a chunk of hose to make up the difference. A fairly easy procedure and better than a tube since it will be at the bottom of the tank and you get the added catch basin from the stock pump. The frame mounted pump is nice since you can hear if it is working.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If still under warranty will the dealer replace it for you?? I think they should. If they will go with the in tank pump. If not you can get one at Geno's Garage 1 800 755 1715 for 180.00+ shipping The 04 came with 7 years warrenty or 100.000 miles Good Luck

Last edited by AABEAR; 07-08-2010 at 02:07 PM.