5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Issues

Anybody have problems with there ps pumps leaking? I changed it out about 4 months back, it wasn't leaking just went bad. Ok, changed it and no issues. About 2 months later, I am out of town working and it starts leaking pretty bad. So I milked it for a couple weeks with Lucas stop leak and lots of extra fluid till I got back home and changed it. I got it from O'rielly's so I got it warrantied. Now about a month later or less I noticed it leaking again but not bad yet. Now before everybody jumps on the "cheap autoparts store junk", which I have thought about already, I have started noticing some slack in my track bar over the last couple months also. It has slowly gotten worse and does cause bump steer on the highway. I can also feel and hear it "clunk" while sitting still. My question is can this slack in the track bar with the bump steer cause undue pressure on my pump causing the front seal to start leaking. I have just ordered a replacement track bar for this issue and will replace the pump again at the same time. Any input welcome.

Last edited by D Gandy; 10-20-2009 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crazyrocks (05-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

That's a damn good question. I'm still on the factory pump, but someone will chime in.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Diesel Fan

My stock pump had around 73k on it and now I am at 75k.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Diesel Fan

What ever came of your pump?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Diesel Fan
Default not trying to hijack

To not HiJack your post my recommendation is to get a steering box brace to help mitigate the force on your steering box and I would also look into getting Lukes links for your stock rod ends or go all out with a total aftermarket system. I've heard Lukes are just a bandaid from a bunch of people but in reality they beef up the stock system no matter how you look at it so brand new parts benefit just as much as used parts do. (in my opinion)

now to add to your question...
I noticed a leak in mine 8 months ago. I milked it from AZ to NC and have been driving it since because I have only gone through 1 full bottle of fluid and I wasn't exactly sure where it was coming from (still not 100%). It appears to be coming down one of the hydraulic lines as well as out of the front left... so I too started noticing some extra bump steer and even a little wobble (rough rail road crossing), I replaced the stabilizer with an aftermarket one and checked my alignment and all my rod ends. It was better but still not great so I went ahead and adjusted the play out of my steering box from about 2 inches to about 1/4 of an inch of play. That worked great until recently (about 3 months). I would have left it because it isn't that that bad but because I am now forced to sell it I need to know if there is any other SAFER options. Aside from putting in Lukes links, or totally replacing the steering with something like a Moog or Carli bar?
Like I said I am forced to sell my truck (bad back injury) but I refuse to have my name associated with a less than amazing product! So does anyone have any ideas that might help me here?
Thanks

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So my 03 blew power steering apart pulley **** out pump when to **** truck was not happy so of course this happen with 6 horse trailer and i was about hour away from home lucky i had another truck get the trailer with 6 horses home (even if it's Duradog) but anyway i got fixed but now all of sudden my heat doesn't work in the truck well it does but you have to sure it off then turn it back on and it fine any idea maybe sucked P.s fuild some where or do need to flash it to fix this problem ? any help would be plus !

Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

D Gandy, my dodge had that same issue before i bought it, and they put a new trac bar in the truck when they replaced the pump. That was at 200,000 km and it just rolled 339,000 with no issues

Just my .02 but my steering box brace seems to of done worlds of good for the front end of my 03, eliminating the frame flex and giving the box extra support under stress certainly isn't a bad thing, for only 169$, might be worth a shot