5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

I have an engine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 10:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have an engine...

I recently (like yesterday recently) acquired two 05 trucks and a third spare engine and transmission in the bed of one of the trucks, but the spare engine is basically a long block, no pump, no gear case, no fuel rail etc. I'm new to the common rail world at least for my own trucks (I have worked on some for other people) and so I have never looked for parts for one. I'm wondering if there's any hope in the world of finding a whole set of accessories to turn my long block into a running engine for a reasonable (I know that's vague) price? There has to be somebody out there with a hole in the block of one that has all of the small parts right? If I buy each bracket and wire and hose separately it won't be worth it at all with the stuff I'm finding on eBay or wherever else. I'm also interested in converting it over to a different system like a P7100 or even VE if that's feasible, it may be much cheaper from what I'm finding so far, just because there's less parts required, but more custom stuff. From what I'm finding on eBay, I'd barely get a cp3, computer, and fuel rail before it's not worth the money, and id be a very long way from doing anything useful.

I realize this isn't going to be free or even cheap... It seems like maybe $2K would be worth it to end up with a running engine, but it looks like I'd be spending 5K+ to do it piece by piece and I can find a running engine for that, maybe even in a truck.

Maybe I should just keep the extra block around for my other two engines just in case? Or sell it? I live in a very rural area and junkyards are few and far between locally, I'd be driving thousands of miles if I wanted to check more than 5 yards.