5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New Engine...would you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine...would you?

I have a 204.5 Ram 2500 with a 5.9L. Miles are 377K. Has a B@M tranny, transfer case replaced 2 years ago. Replaced upper/lower ball joints, tie rods, steering box and pump. I think the only thing I have not replaced is the rear end! About a month ago I started to get a tick in the motor. That quickly turned into a knock. Having 377K miles and thinking it was a rod knocking my wife and i went to look and new trucks........I know never take you wife! After the sticker shock and learning about injector miss fires drained and filled the fuel filter with seafoam. I did this because when i disconnected the injector wiring and turned the motor over it turned but with no knock. Well seafoam cleaned a little to well and it stated to put out white smoke from the exhaust. So I bought new injectors but with +60 hp tips. What led me to the new injectors is that It cleaned it so well it ran terrible. Fast forward and I installed the new injectors. The wiring to the injectors was bare so I did put liquid tape on the wires. They did ohm out good. Had a family emergency out of state so I rented a car and had my truck taken to a diesel shop. I get back 3 weeks later and they say it a lower motor knock and I need a new motor. 7.2K for the motor and about 3K for install. So I now own a NEW 2019 ram 1500! My question is what would you do at this point? The 2.3K for the injectors is a wash. I was going to part it out but now my plan is to drop the oil pan and see whats going on. If it looks like my bearings are bad would you part it out or spend the cash. Im hoping i can fix this by dropping the pan.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is well worth a look at the crank if you know what you are looking at. A rod knocking sounds like KA-NOK, and if you have a mechanic's stethoscope you may be able to find which cyl is knocking. BTW, I don't trust re-man injectors, as I have seen too many of them that were faulty. A manual oil pressure gauge will also tell if a rod bearing has spun. The gauge will have a sudden drop in pressure every time that bad bearing/cylinder is up to bat, sorta like it is keeping time to the knock. I have seen these engines run over 1,000,000 miles, and if you service the engine on a routine interval and don't hotrod it I think it strange that it failed that soon, but anything mechanical can fail at any time. If you pull that pan and take rod caps off, please post your findings.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the reply. I needed to bounce this off someone. I bought the injectors from Taylor Diesel out of TN. Their rep is good. I figured if I'm replacing them why not upgrade? I did break a stud on one and they sent me another under warranty. I think its a 3 yr warranty. Its been a long time since I rebuilt a motor. My plan now is to get it back to my house and drop the oil pan. Since I did not hear a knock with the injectors disconnected and just turning the starter maybe it was because there was no load on the pistons? I'll upload a video to show you what I have.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Diesel Fan

I have a video of the truck running just cant seem to upload it. I'll try again later and update this post once I get my truck home

Old 01-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

If you just want to learn what cause that problem i say keep it and drop the pan out and see what's there, who knows, if it's a good truck, no rust or things like that maybe in the future you can drop another motor in there, if not why bother? You have a new truck right. Sell your old diesel and get some cash, maybe buy another used diesel for cheap.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Diesel Fan

I just want to see what the issue is.....plus its a great truck.....I did see the oil pressure drop a couple of times while driving it. When I stepped on the gas it when back to normal. I got it home and changed it oil and it was thick as hell and low. Because I could only drain 1 1/2 gallons out of it I figured the low pressure was due to low oil level. I added some sea foam to the oil to clean it. Drove it to work and on the way home it started to tick. Thought it was injectors so I did a hot soak by filing the fuel filter. I drove it for 15 minutes then it got real loud.....very loud. its definitely from the bottom of the engine. I did have an injector missing but I think that was due to wiring and the truck pops no codes. I'm sure I did this with the seafoam. I put in a small amount but the shop said it ok to run the engine with seafoam in the oil just dont drive it.......as far a the new truck goes it sure is quite and my wife loves it but I hate the gas mileage. I get about 12 to 13 mpg and fill up every week.....