5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

knocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question knocks

I bought a used 2003 dodge 3500 with 5.9 cr cummins with 5 speed a couple years ago from a dealer.(my first diesel) It started fine for about a week then it would crank but no start. I could roll down the hill and dump the clutch and it would start and run fine, so I go back to the dealer and they said needs new cp3 pump. That sounded wrong to me so I found the guy that has "floor it diesel" and took it to him, he torqued the tubes and replaced one of them. fine for about 3 months then started the same thing. So long story short (too late, I know) I replaced the injectors about a month ago and it starts fine now but has a fueling knock. the knock comes in about 1200 to 1500 rpm when cold and when at temperature it knocks at idle. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get your new injectors from? I have heard of people having problems with the nozzles on ebay injectors, causing knock like you describe but have never experienced it myself. On another note, You mentioned possibly having a bad CP3 was it removed at any time? The CP3 only provides pressure and is not timed but if the pistons are not synced up with the engine properly the gear lash can cause a ticking/knocking sound also. Just my .02, hope you get it figured out...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

do the injectors have a warranty?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got reman injectors from diesel care & performance. didn't knock before replacing them. tonight when I got home I unplugged the wiring connectors one at a time, when I unplugged the 3-4 connector the knock went away.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

yeah they have 1 year warranty

Last edited by big dick; 10-16-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost