5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

advice on steering upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice on steering upgrades

gonna be dropping from a 6" superlift down to a 3" carli unchained (including ball joints)... while its torn apart for the suspension upgrade figure ought to do the steering too. prob should anyway, still on old y-style linkage, and steering gearbox appears to be leaking a little down the sector shaft.
so im requesting advice on:

-gearbox (thinking borgeson and shaft, wondering if anyone makes a better one)
-pitman arm (think the one that would come with whatever box i get would work)
-linkage (not sure what else there is for a 3" lift besides the t-style, another forum mentioned extreme overkill, will be looking into it)
-box brace (yes/no/which one is beefiest, what do people think of dor's single sided one)

thanks in advance

Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

box brace was THE best thing I did for my truck, dont know how I did without it for so long! Not sure about who's is beefiest, i think they are all the same general design, more of a colour/ brand type thing

the pitman arm with the box should work for the 3" as one would assume carli will spec the kit for a stock arm unless otherwise stated, and i've never met a guy with a dodge that does anything other than borgeson, unless were talking junkyard take offs!

Just curious, what do you want for the 6" kit?! if nothings trashed i'd be interested in buying it! cheers!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Diesel Fan

did a little more looking around... looks like the only real options anymore are a redhead reman, borgeson pn 800123 (only one they still make for a 3rd gen), and mopar pn 68170214aa which from what i understand is a 4th gen box retrofitted to fit a 3rd gen... from what i understand its the same box as the borgeson (case and internals), but with a bigger sector shaft and more expensive... so i guess ill get the borgeson box and shaft, but am curious will all the braces work with the borgeson box and also still curious about dor's single sided brace

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Diesel Fan

flyingdutchman,
truck just hit 50k, dont know when the superlift was put on, but nothings been thrashed... pretty sure the extent of its offroading has been spearfishing trips to the beach at south point on the big island... anyway, lift goes for 960 new, make an offer and ill let you know when its off, just be advised, might be a month or two before it comes off, gotta figure out my parts list, then order and wait for everything to be shipped out here, also, keep in mind the shipping from honolulu to wherever you are

Old 10-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Box brace definitely. Try to find one that's all one piece. Their cnc machined.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Default steering upgrades

Interesting, I've been thinking about removing the 4" Superlift from my 05 as well. I presume you have to loose the control arms and go back to stock?

Old 02-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Up

Originally Posted by Beelzeboss
gonna be dropping from a 6" superlift down to a 3" carli unchained (including ball joints)... while its torn apart for the suspension upgrade figure ought to do the steering too. prob should anyway, still on old y-style linkage, and steering gearbox appears to be leaking a little down the sector shaft.
so im requesting advice on:

-gearbox (thinking borgeson and shaft, wondering if anyone makes a better one)
-pitman arm (think the one that would come with whatever box i get would work)
-linkage (not sure what else there is for a 3" lift besides the t-style, another forum mentioned extreme overkill, will be looking into it)
-box brace (yes/no/which one is beefiest, what do people think of dor's single sided one)

thanks in advance
Both of these companies are a good source of info and product.

CJC Off Road

STRAPT Performance

Both of these companies are straight shooters.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Default front end lift removal

Thanks, I contacted them