5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Possible Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Electrical Issue

I have a 2006 ram 3500 with a fass fuel system and edge cts monitor, everything else on it is stock since i bought it used 4 months ago. last week all of my warning lights along with the left turn signal would flash on and off randomly while driving (sometimes constantly sometimes only a few times a trip). just this morning on my way to work the entire dash lost power, and my speedometer rpms and all gauges were stuck exactly where they were when i lost power to the dash. the wind shield wipers also stopped working along with the cd player. the odometer never threw the no buss code, but now since i lost power to the dash the odometer doesnt work nor does the gear indicator work. now the truck starts and drives fine, there hasnt been any loss of power and anything out of the ordinary performance wise, the edge cts monitor still works and is reading 15V for the batteries. What im wondering is advice one where to start checking wires and plugs and things i should check out myself before i get my pockets cleaned by the dealership. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pry the dash cover off to expose the gage cluster, the dash bezel just snaps in.
remove the gage cluster and check the wire connections on the back by unpluging all three and reinserting them.
if that dont work you may need another cluster. they are fairly cheap and readily available online [ebay]
if that dont work then it may be the front control module under the hood. you could check the connections on the under side of it and those are $250 or better.
outside of those things the rest is just wires and plugs. inspect everything for fried wires that may be crossing over.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, after checking all the wires I could find with no success I took it to the dealership, it ended up being the PCM, which they updated with the new software, so far everything is working as it should.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Diesel Fan

So the problem that the dealer "fixed" has come back, I took a video of what is going on that I am trying to figure out how to post, I'm on my iPhone till I get off work later today.