24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting troubles

hey guys im new here and some what new to the diesel community. I have owned my cummins a little over a year now. Anyways, I recently did a quadzilla adrenaline, airdog 165, so vp44, and a 5 inch turbo back exhaust. Just a little back ground on what happend. Being new to the diesel world i put the chip on the truck in stock form and of course the lift pump and vp44 died within 80 miles of the chip being on the truck. After i purchased the lift pump and the vp44 installed it all bled the injectors and the truck started like a champ first try. it runs amazing power is great. no hesitation at all in the truck and have been putting the scanner on the truck and its not throwing any timming codes etc. However, everytime i start the truck it takes a longer for it to start then normal. the starter is definetly working harder then it should. I did replace the starter a few months ago so it is a brand new starter on the truck as well so. anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it just cranking over for a couple seconds before it starts? Did this only start after having the vp44 out and all the lines off? If so I bet something isn't tight in the high pressure lines or a banjo bolt is bad and it's leaking air into the system as it sits.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 AM

yes it was after i did the vp chip and airdog project? the air in the lines is this as simple as just retighting and making sure the lines i put back on are good? i have been dailey driving it for almost a week like this and sometimes it starts quickly and others it takes a few seconds. but i will say i dont have anything leaking..... does this sound like it?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

there is some reason the system is bleeding back, its about the only way it would not start, now it being a 99 dodge, has it started waiting like 10 seconds be for it starts the lift pump, mine has a long delay for the lift pump to kick on it wont start till then, haven't had any trouble with it in 4 years i think its like that stock.

The following users liked this post:
cpltrahan2002 (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

please tell everyone that you didn't buy a junk a$$ starter from Autozone, or the like... At least that is unless you like changing starters... oh, and hows your batteries? they play a big role in frying starters. wouldn't personally have seen that before or anything

Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 03blks2k
yes it was after i did the vp chip and airdog project? the air in the lines is this as simple as just retighting and making sure the lines i put back on are good? i have been dailey driving it for almost a week like this and sometimes it starts quickly and others it takes a few seconds. but i will say i dont have anything leaking..... does this sound like it?
That's what it sounds like to me. Park the truck with the nose uphill overnight and see if it's hard to start in the morning. Chances are it will crank for a while because the fuel ran back to the tank. Then the next night park it with the nose downhill. Chances are it will start right up because the fuel stayed up at the motor. If this is what you see go over and re check all your fitting everywhere. It doesn't have to be a visible leak, it doesn't take much at all. It took a year and a half for me to find mine. My leak was in the sending unit inside the fuel tank haha.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u need to wait for the lift pump to do its job cycle the key on wait 4 seconds then start it it should fire rite up if not ...... air leak

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM

hi guys,
i have a 1999 dodge 2500 5.9L 24 valve and i am having about a three second delay on the starting once i go to start my truck for the first time that day, then once driving my truck and it warms up i go to start it the second time and it takes about 5-6 seconds till it fires up. at first it was a really bad hesitation, about 10 seconds, but then thinking my batteries were going bad i replaced em and then it still di it so i went ahead and checked my fuel filter and it was BLACK. so i went ahead and replaced my filter and it fired up after about 2 seconds. so then noticing my fuel psi was low and once it fired up it would take a good 5-6 seconds for the fuel psi to reach 18psi at idle. so i went ahead and replaced my lift pump and now im psi is 20-22 at idle and once fired up its already 20 psi. anyways, i am still having trouble with what may be causing my truck to hesitate for a couple seconds before firing up. if it was my main IP had gone out it wouldnt fire up at all right? i was thinking maybe a bad injector, or two. any help wpuld be great
thanks,
daniel

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

hey guys, so after the hesitating to start for two days i had gotten in my truck and as it had in the past two days, it hesitated to start for a couple seconds and fired up but after running for about 10-15 seconds it just shut off and now it wont start up. any advice you guys have would be great!
thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by cummins1999; 07-30-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost