24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins

Okay, so as far as I can tell this fiasco started with my cab lights. What happend is I was using my power seat fuse to tap into for pwr. I had my neg terminal disconnected but sometime during the event it made contact without me knowing. While i was hiding the pwr wire under the dash it grounded and blew a few fuses. My pwr mirrors, door locks, interior light, pwr seat, and speed cntrl on wipers (low and high still work), ODB II port (cant clear codes), and high beam indicator.

The fuses it blew in the cab were:
#1 15A park lamp
#4 10A pwr amp
#5 5A illum
#12 10A IOD
#13 10A pwr lock
#14 10 A cluster B

The fuses in the PDC was the 40A trailer (grn) fuse. So after replacing all of the dead fuses they are all still not getting pwr from the PDC (or where ever it comes from) the hot side of the fuses are all dead. All of the fuses and relays in the PDC are good and passing pwr.

The #6 25A wiper is still good but again the the intermitant speed/delay does not function just low and high. I have pulled the codes from the odometer and they read as follows:

PCU: 0622 Altenator field not switching properly, p0122 TPS low voltage, p1687 No cluster bus message, p1765 Trans 12v supply relay cnt cir.

ECU: p0236 MAP Sensor too high too long, p0237 MAP Sensor Voltage too low, p0382 Intake Air heat relay #2 cntl cir.

I reset the APPS and I am no longer getting the p0122 code but the rest are still prevalent. Your thoughts are welcome, I have no idea where to start for sure thinking it is something between the fuse box and the PDC but this is my first time diving into anything electrical besides changing fuses. PLEASE HELP, and sorry for the long post.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get electrical parts cleaner. start with grounds. doubt its the problem but its always best place to start. pull the map sensor and clean it, clean all plugins related with these items. if this doesn't help, hope a electrical gurue chimes in. good luck.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, you replaced all the fuses and none of them " re-blew " again correct ? so all of the replaced fuses are still good ? What items of what you listed are working ?

Do your park lights work ?
Do your power seats work? (heated seats too ? )
Does your over head info display work ?
Power mirrors ?

Does the truck still start and run ? If so, what voltage is the alternator putting out ?

Could be a number of things.

I don't remember how to manualy clear the codes on these, rumor has it that you can discconect both batteries and " link " the Pos. and Neg. together and leave it for 5 min.
But dear lord make sure both batterys are discconected.

I'm not sure why when you tapped power from one fuse it took out a multitude of fuses, seems like it was the wrong side of the fuse and took out something more.

I will check on some body wiring diagrams for you in a bit, I've gotta be off to work here in not to long.

Edit : On a quick note, most of these error codes all have one thing in common according to Alldata, ECM / PCM faulty, i'll post em' up later, but there's a TON of testing to do for each code that's still in the system.

Last edited by Tweaker727; 04-25-2011 at 08:35 AM.