24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New to Diesel world with Cummins Wastegate questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN New to Diesel world with Cummins Wastegate questions

Let me start with the question first,I have an 02 cummins and have been researching and find alot of different answers from 30 to 50 psi of boost. What can my stock turbo handle before i grenade the thing? How much boost can I make with my stock wastegate? Is it safe to plug it and how do i do this with the hy35? Can the stock gate be Adjusted?

Some back ground info, Ive had this truck for a year now and have had VP and Lift pump probs the whole time I have finally saved the money to replace them and will be installing a Bosch replacement VP with an AirDog 150 Pump, the ADR with Pulse V2 and an AEM cold air intake. I have a straight piped 3 inch exhaust and will be changing to a 4 inch with a stack . Also on the list in the future are 100 HP injectors, High Ram, and Banks Elbow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind after the installs im bout to do im low on funds, just wanna beat the hell outta the punk *** rice burners that seem to think their badass with their light weight cars and daddies money

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

anything over 35 or 40 psi would be bad in my opinion and the stock turbos aren't really effective anything over that. with the stock wastegate it'll be right around 26 or so. It cannot be adjusted. I'm not sure on the HY35 but i know on the HX35 you can plug it. I'm guessing you have an auto truck since it has an HY35? Some guys swap their HY35s for an HX35 off of a manual truck. You are definitely going to want to look at transmission upgrades because the stock 47re automatics have a hard time handling the stock power of these trucks.

The following users liked this post:
brown guy (04-25-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

The hx and hy charges or only efficient to right above 38 lbs max and 35 is much safer. Any higher your just creating heat and raising drive pressures. 100 horse sticks and your factory charger will.be on the warm hot wide and would be more driver friendly with a larger turbo. It would also allow you to tow a bit as well.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the high ram is useless

Last edited by mysterync; 02-22-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
brown guy (04-25-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont worry about waistin your time on the stock charger.. just run it till you can afford the right size turbo for your application.. the more boost you try to squeeze out of that thing is going to make your drive pressure soar through the roof..too high of drive pressure is a major factor in most headgasket failures... just throwin my .02

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

you can't plug the hy wastegate line, they sell a j-hook that will hold it so the boost will reach a higher pressure before it opens, stock setting i think is around 18psi and with fueling mods you might hit 20-21 with the stock wastegate, get the j-hook and you will reach up to 27-28 with the adrenaline with stock injectors. with my 150's i ran the hx for a while and was able to adjust the wastegate and get 35 easily with it but stock injectors i could only muster 27.

i would skip on the high ram, get some headstuds instead you will be happier with them , and a fuel pressure gage at the least is a must on these trucks!

oh and if its a standars expect to be buying a clutch pretty quick! and if its an auto, expect to build it soon the stock auto has a hard time handling the power of a stock motor let alone the power of a modded engine
good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Diesel Fan

Thank you guys, your alot of help Sound like i should just let it ride till I can upgrade the turbo. If I spend the $50 on the J hook, will it be worth it? Can you feel the difference from stock to 35 psi? Like i said im not new to diesels just new to upgrading and what can be done to these power houses. Also is the HX35 a direct bolt up to my HY35 and would it be worth it? Sorry im full of questions just wanna understand it all....dont wanna blow something up, id rather learn from others mistakes I had the trans rebuilt with upgraded parts and a billet converter bout 7 months ago anticipating the upcoming mods. Thanks guys again for all your input your truly helping unlike other websites ive been on

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah a hx35 will bolt right up. It will give you a little cooler egt's and if you go that rout you can just get a boost elbow that sells on eBay for 10 bucks! But if 100 hp injectors are in your future I would save up for a Better matched turbo

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Gotcha, think im gonna go the HX35 swap route and hold off on injectors till i save for the turbo Any suggestions on a turbo that will take that kinda power?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hy35 was running about 24 lbs boost. Got a j hook from Lowes for $4.00 bent it a little bit to fit and hold wastegate closed, now I get 35 lbs boost. Definately feel the difference. Set boost limit on my EJWA so it will not go over 35.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the info Burke. Think im startin to understand the J-Hook thing. Wasnt sure how it worked so correct me if im wrong.....The wastegate actuator opens towards the front of the vehicle so the J-Hook is mounted to the firewall of the truck?? So if i buy just a j-hook from lowes it will keep the gate closed and i f i buy the actual j-hook for the truck it has a spring that puts tension on the actuator so it needs more pressure to open and is adjustable. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: New to Diesel world with Cummins Wastegate questions