24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

parking brake???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default parking brake???

i have an 01 24v ho with manual 6 spd and id like to regain the use of the parking brake sometime soon it hasn't worked since ive owned this truck. the cable is good pedal and sensor are good i believe its somthing inside the rear axle any ideas? any info is helpfull! thanks for your interest!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: parking brake???

Do you have rear discs or drums. I believe 2001 was changeover to discs. Some had drum some disc. Either way, the parking brake side functions very simike your rear wheels off and if you have drums, pull the drum off the brake shoes. It may be difficult to remve and sometimes taking a hammer and knocking on the outside edges a few times will help free it up. When you get the drum off, look at the condition of your brake shoes. If they are in good shape (thick) then at the bottom of the assembly is a wheel shaped like a star. This is your adjustment wheel for the parking brake turn the wheel in the direction that pushes the brake shoes outward like the brakes are applying. Adjust it out but not so far as to make the brakes ride the drum completely. Put the drum on and make sure it will turn with little resistance from the shoes. Put the wheel on and you should have parking brakes again.

If you have disc brakes, the process is similar but different. When you remove the wheel, remove the caliper and bracket and slide the disc off the wheel studs. You will then be looking at what is basically a smaller version of a drum brake. This is you parking brake assembly. First check that the shoes have some.friction material left. If not replace them if they look to be in good shape, use the same process as if it where a drum adjusting the star wheel out until the brakes will not quite rub the inner surface of the disc. This should get your parking brake functioning again.

Also, while in there, make sure the cables aren't eat up with rust and will move freely within the outer sleeve. That could also cause a problem.

Sfhdjd from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tightend the adjuster on the cable thats what fixed mine it takes a minute but works

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

allright thanks for the help i'll tear into it tomarrow and hope everything goes good! i'll get back with ya'll on the ruselts

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

tore into t today in the shop and found its the cable aint able to stretch it tight enough cuz to much slack....problem is the part midway down the cable i adjusted it tight as it will go and its still not tight enough idw to cut the cable and put another stop on it if i can avoid it....is there any other way to tighten? like at the brake pedal? or the disk? btw there rear disk too.

Last edited by 01_cummins; 02-10-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. What silverbeast said

Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it has the disk brakes the adjustment is very important. a litle off and no parking brake. so adjust like the other guys said in the brake housing not the cable!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

allright next question would be does anybody know of a website i could print of a diagram? or will i just get to wing it? cuase i had a look under there i didn't have much time but i pulled the wheel and im not entirely sure how to go about it other then start pullin caliper and go from there. is this the best way to go about it?thanks!