24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Lift pump delay

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy, Found this forum doing a search

I have the same issue with my '99 for about a year now. Delay in 'Wait to Start' light and lift pump when I turn on the ignition.

Someone suggested it was a boot up delay of the ECM after the ign is turned to on. So if you crank it, its like the ignition is off until the ECM boots and wait to start light comes on with lift pump. Not sure if that is correct.

I thought I had a loss of prime issue , but discovered the delay of the 'wait to start' light and lift pump. I dont think its a fuel/ lift pump issue at all. I think the lift pump just comes on when the ignition boots, and Wait to start light comes on. I wait till the 'wait to start' light comes on and immediately crank it and it fires right up

Ive been shopping for ECMs just in case. I hope I dont need to spend $$$ on a ECM. Truck runs great otherwise, never a throw a code or other ECM related issues

Anyway did anyone find the Cause and Fix of this issue

I might PM a couple of you and see if you fixed it

Merry Christmas , Rick

Last edited by GSP7; 12-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reflash lasted a short time. A factory - dealer software revision- update lasted a few weeks. My problem returned and gradually grew worse until the ECM more or less died resulting in a no start condition. Had a chat with the Dodge cummins guy....He reported seeing several older trucks with the same symptoms. He confirms lift pump is working...says a replacement ECM is the cure.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by rabidrabbit
The reflash lasted a short time. A factory - dealer software revision- update lasted a few weeks. My problem returned and gradually grew worse until the ECM more or less died resulting in a no start condition. Had a chat with the Dodge cummins guy....He reported seeing several older trucks with the same symptoms. He confirms lift pump is working...says a replacement ECM is the cure.

Where did you end up getting a replacement ECM from? Did you have to get it flashed at a dealer before it worked?

I did some web surfing searching for ECM refurbishers and replacement.

I dont want to get one that is junk too

thanks Rick

Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah, my 98.5 has been acting the same way for a while.
Traced it down after I replaced the VP44, and it acted weird.
Apparently, the same circuit that activates the pump also turns on the
fuel shutoff solenoid in the VP44. So, no amount of cranking is going to
start it, until the circuit activates. (I bypassed the lift pumps - I have 2 -
and had fuel pressure before cranking, but it would NOT start until the
10-sec thing had timed out and the WTS lite came on).
Works great, as long as you wait for the lift pumps to turn on.
So, it's definitely in the ECM, IMHO.

<als>

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by GSP7
I have the same issue with my '99 for about a year now. Delay in 'Wait to Start' light and lift pump when I turn on the ignition.

Someone suggested it was a boot up delay of the ECM after the ign is turned to on. So if you crank it, its like the ignition is off until the ECM boots and wait to start light comes on with lift pump. Not sure if that is correct.

I figured out the cause of my ECM delay.
Turns out it is just a lack of voltage to the ECM when key is turned to on. I had even checked the bats with a volt meter and they read a good 12 volts

My 3 year old batteries were a low on water( not down to the plates), added distilled water and I cleaned my battery terminals and all the terminals at the battery, especially the drivers side positive and all the hook ups. They looked clean and I keep a eye on them for re-cleaning on out side but the post and inside needed wire brushing.

ECM boots up normal now

When key is to "on" there is a lot of voltage draw from the grid heaters etc and the ECM boot so it needs to get a clean 12volts. Even if the starter is cranking full power there can be low volts to the ECM

I talked to a good local diesel mechanic that does alot of work on fleet dodge diesels and he says he sees this exact problem alot. He says He replaces batteries every 3 years even if they are 6 year bats

Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM

was there ever a solution found to the problem, or what was causing it. minne is doing the same thing

Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM

For my problem, I traced the issue to a shorted wire on the A/C compressor. Apparently the power supply to the A/C switch also supplies the crankshaft position sensor. The insulation was rubbed raw and with vibration or moisture it would randomly short out the crank-sensor resulting in a no start. The pump circuit needs to see the correct voltage to work before it cycles as far as I can tell.
Shrink wrap over the offending chaffed wire in the area of the A/C compressor solved my problem.