24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Lift pump delay

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

my raptor pump and dash light work at the same. its one of those odd years for dodge there is no fix for it its factory from what i have found out.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard that 99 was an "odd year" for Dodge. There has to be a fix for this. It may lead to a new ECM or some other expensive component but it can be corrected for sure. I purchased the trunk new in 99 and for the most part it's been trouble free for the first 325,000 miles, hardly a factory issue. I'm just sayin'

Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with a late 98. Mine would sit there till a relay clicked somewhere then the lift pump would come on, the wait to start light would come on and it would fire right up. If you didnt wait for it it was like you didnt have any power to the ignition it would spin 5-8 seconds then fire right up. But also if you turned the key on and off a few times the lift pump would come on in the off position after switch was off and run several seconds. My diesel guy was a dodge dealer tech in 97-2000 and said he never say this before scanned perfect. I drove it for a year or so and sold never found the problem.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your body to frame ground and below your driver side battery box there is a cluster of grounds that are grounded to the inner fender well check and see if these are corroded. i have seen some pretty bad ones from over time the battery leaks down onto them.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Default Updates...? Fixes...?

Anybody ever make any headway with this problem? I've got a '99 with the same symptoms everybody else just mentioned, including the delayed random three second LP running after key is turned to OFF position.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 1995 gasser the same thing, as the temp dropped the fuel pump would not work.I'd turn on key no pump&check engine light,leave key on & wait the relay would click a bunch of times untill it would stay on & you'd hear the pump charge,fire right up,pretty sure the ecm controlled the relay. I drove it like that 2 yrs it never did it not start!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Default Hard Start Intermittent

I have a similar problem to the ones described. It usually starts hard when hot but not always. The cycle from the ecm seems to not always work. If one cycles the key on and off it usually starts. When the lift pump runs it will start hot. Replaced vp-44 check valve. Replaced fuel pump relay. Checked for air leaks. Thinking of putting on a direct toggle switch! Any insight on this problem will be appreciated.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Default Tone ring on crank giving faulty signal to CKP.

I tracked mine down to a loose tone ring on the crank shaft, so the tone ring had to be in the perfect spot or it would not read correctly. I replaced the ECM and wiring harness updating it to the later style 2001, from 1999, with-out the crank sensor. No issues sense.

Heat soak may have damaged your VP44. The solder used in the VP44 computer, that sits on top of the pump, is likely to fail in time. I ran mine in "stand alone" with external controls to eliminate this problem. PM me your number if you continue to have issues.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

First post, but with similar lift pump issues.

My Dodge 2001 Cummins 5.9, 24 valve engine starts and runs great as long as the fuel tank is full. Once the fuel level drops down to near half a tank, my lift pump stops and my engine wont start. I have to bleed the lines and disconnect the fuel line from lift pump before the pump will start again to be able to drive to nearest gas station to fill up.

I think pressure builds up and the pump shuts off. I have already replaced the in tank pump, lift pump and rebuilt the fuel injection pump last week. Truck is still doing the same thing.

On this thread I was reading about "hard wiring" the lift pump so that it will run as soon as the switch is set to the on position. I want to eventually upgrade to the Airhog fuel system, but kind of low on cash at the moment....I was wondering if it is ok for the lift pump to constantly run when it is hard wired? Will it hold up or will it burn up sooner?

Any input will be highly appreciated. (info on where to hard wire it to would also be nice)

Thanks
Edwin

Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Default update lift pump delay

Just an update. My lift pump delay stopped when I loaded a fuel economy tune. It must have been a fault in my eccm that was corrected with a performance tune. It works flawlessly now. Had checked wiring, switch, to no avail.

Quick Reply: Lift pump delay