24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Trans shutter.... need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans shutter.... need help

Well to start I had had an Air Dog II and Quadzilla installed. The first day I/it killed my VP!! Now, 3 weeks later, my trans is starting to slip I think. Seems to be in OD under medium acceleration it shutters/slips. This only happens when the Quad is in #3 or above, the power settings. 0, 1 no slip, 2 just a little. This just started, can I:

1. get a trans service ie. fluid, filter, bands etc.
2. shift kit, TC, service
3. total rebuild

If it needs rebuilt what all do I need, or should I get a trans already built.

One more question Input shafts... whats the HP/torque they can handle?

With my upgrades plus possibily injectors and upgrade turbo stock, hardened, or billet

Any idea of cost will help after all I just got done Im

Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Make sure its the trans first. Lots of guys on here are having shuttering at highway speeds, getting on the throttle, and what it seems to be is bad winter fuel making the truck buck and shutter. It honestly almost feels like a trans buck. Im having this problem right now too, only because its winter...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kazam im have the same problem with my 99, whenever im pulling onto the road my tranny wants to slip and shake really bad, i asked my mechanic what it could be and he gave me 3 things: the torque converter, flex plate, or the clutch pack, im going friday to see whats wrong with it and ill let you know. I hope yours is just something simple, Goodluck

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Diesel Fan

Yeah i got a quad on mine and mine is doing the same thing but its just fuel...it does it every winter...yours sounds like it may be a little more of something else but don't freak out yet could just be fuel and for the hp your running id say just a rebuild if you need it..just get a kit from dtt or someone like that and a shift kit / and single disc TC unless your towing alot i'd get a triple...now if your planning on doing more mods id go with a whole VB and TC...and if your gonna do alot more mods like stacking chips or anything id do a built tranny but if not a good TC and VB should do you fine

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

well if you do come to find out that its not the fuel and it is actually your tranny, Id rebuild it if it has a good amount of miles on it, also beef it up with a torque converter and valve body while there doing it, also get some heavy duty clutch packs, that way you will really be able to enjoy the power of your setup!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Default FUEL

OK, how do I tell if its fuel? Im about to fuel up, do I just need some anti gel additive. Ive even heard a little regular unleaded will stop the geling. Or is there something else I need to do?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Diesel Wrench

An additive most likely isn't going to stop the bad fuel problem. I haven't found one yet that helps. Try a different fueling station, honestly BP has the best fuel. It doesn't mean that it's going to resolve the problem, only warm weather will do that. As far as your trans goes, if you're running programmers and stuff and you have an auto it's best to just do it right and build the whole trans. While the trans is out (if you're doing a TC) just have somebody do at least red eagle clutches or get a suncoast rebuild kit with Kevlar bands and stuff. It's not that expensive and you'll be happy. Get a good single billet converter and a good VB and be done for another 200k miles. It can never hurt to do supporting mods. Unless you're sled pulling, drag racing, or doing locked shifts, you really don't need billet shafts on a daily driver. They're way overpriced IMO... I haven't broken one yet with my mods anyhow. Goodluck and keep us updated

Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Default Trans Shutter / Slip issues.

I know how you feel!

I had the same problem with my 98. I installed a edge comp / airdog 150 combo with a HO inj pump. Blew the transmission out 2 months later. It started shuttering while shifting in and out of OD. I thought it was just the torque converter "searching" to lock up or not. Next thing I know I am going over a pass and loose almost all power until I get to the top than nothing. Pump blew out taking 3rd & 4th gear and TC. Anyways transmission is not to bad to replace besides the $. You are going to need some sigs, chew, lots of beer (to make it a little fun) , a strong friend and o yeah a porta power to spread the frame to get the crossmember in and out. Have fun!

PS - You don't need billet shafts unless you are running huge power, locking your TC at low speeds and or towing big. Just do exactly what cody cummins said. My transmission ran me 3k (and yes it hurts my face when I think about it).

Last edited by Gerbs; 01-27-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I suck.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

Don't waste any money until you try different fuel/ wait for the weather to warm up. Run it a few times and really take a good look at what is shuttering. If it's the engine, it just won't want to run right at high rpm, there will be variations in boost pressure and at WOT it just won't seem to want to take off. If your trans is gone the motor will still run smooth

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I had this problem and it was just the quad. went back to the comp and none. a lot of shudder from the quad at times it what I have heard. just the way it fuels