24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

I talked to Dodge today about Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I talked to Dodge today about Fuel Pump

The parts man at the local Dodge stealership confirmed that my 98.5 24V came from the factory without a fuel pump in the fuel tank, which we all knew.

He said the lift pump bolted to the block next to the fuel filter was the only fuel pump Dodge installed on that model truck at the factory. If your Dodge has the pump on the block, that means that Dodge did not install a in tank fuel pump under warranty.

I sure hope he is correct. I was thinking that Dodge had a factory fuel pump mounted somewhere on the frame and the lift pump on the block was secondary to insure proper fuel pressure. I learn new things daily.

Soooo would I be correct to install a Airdog 150 or Fass on the frame and run the new fuel supply and fuel pressure line directly to the VP44.?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes you would. My dodge 24v has an air dog 2 mounted on the frame and all that and i run my 1/2 inch airdog line directly into my vp 44. So i deleted my fuel filter housing and and all that jazz.

The following users liked this post:
kerley (09-17-2010)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott@Alligator
Yes you would. My dodge 24v has an air dog 2 mounted on the frame and all that and i run my 1/2 inch airdog line directly into my vp 44. So i deleted my fuel filter housing and and all that jazz.
Just another thought:
If I install an Airdog 150 to the frame as suggested, can I run the 1/2 inch fuel line from the Airdog to my factory fuel filter and install new drilled oversized Banjo bolts to insure extra fuel flo thru all fuel hose connectors and continue onto the VP44.

If I do this, I will eliminate the loss of my fuel heater and dash check engine warning light.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

The warning light will not come on with the sensor not hooked up. Also I deleted everything on both my 12v and CR with no I'll effects from the Wisconsin weather.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kerley
Just another thought:
If I install an Airdog 150 to the frame as suggested, can I run the 1/2 inch fuel line from the Airdog to my factory fuel filter and install new drilled oversized Banjo bolts to insure extra fuel flo thru all fuel hose connectors and continue onto the VP44.

If I do this, I will eliminate the loss of my fuel heater and dash check engine warning light.
You are just as well off to bypass the stock filter housing and heater, because it won't prevent gelling in the Airdog or FASS unit, and the WIF isn't of much use either. Just remember to drain the filter periodically to make sure there is no water build up.
Good luck!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I plumbed mine to the factory fuel filter. Not so much for the WIF or heater, but for one more filter. I know it's a little high, but I have 24psi at low idle, and don't drop below 18PSI with the Edge on 6 and my foot to the rug. All factory lines after the filter housing as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Kerly,

I do not think that you will run into any issues with the Airdog and the way they have instructed to install it. I followed the directions on mine and yes, bypassed all the stuff. I just moved from South Florida to Maryland this year. I set up my AD according to the directions and when I got up here it was cold. I did not plug my truck in and had not issues with the fuel and starting right up. I say that your on the right track, and go for it.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the GDP pump with the Vulcan Bigline kit directly into the stock fuel filter housing. I have the parts to install a dual-head filter system (filter and water separator) so I can bypass the factory filter housing but worry about it freezing up in MT.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marine
I have the GDP pump with the Vulcan Bigline kit directly into the stock fuel filter housing. I have the parts to install a dual-head filter system (filter and water separator) so I can bypass the factory filter housing but worry about it freezing up in MT.
So what are you going to do? I understand the Vulcan big line kit but what is the GDP?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The GDP fuel pump. I don't know if I will change the filter; I'll have to see. Mounting it is the issue; I would have to move the lines to the outside of the frame up inside the box on the inside of the sheet metal somewhere.

Quick Reply: I talked to Dodge today about Fuel Pump