24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Crazy Scare Yesturday

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb Crazy Scare Yesturday

its kinda long!

went to work, on the way hit the supply house for some material. noticed my truck hazing a bit while cooling the turbo. figured owell. 100+k on the vp-44 it about time for it to wanna die. turn off the truck do my stuff.

come out drive around back to load up, truck hazing a little worse but. nothing too bad. just a slight puff once in a while. take off get on the freeway. all is well till i floor it to get over for an interchange. truck starts missing. but only at wide open. just got a newer lift pump in. and pressure is good, (thanks AndyMan) notice black smoke this time in the mirror. i panic a little. slow down. truck acts fine.

make about 3 mile down the road to the next interchange, no more smoke. no missing/hesitation. make the transition. bring it back up to 65 and bam.. i smopke out the whole freeway it seemed. truck sputtering. pinging, knocking. more smoke!

i pull over quikly shut off the truck. turn the key on. no check engine light!
i think odd. ok the vp-44 aint givving totally up. just not liking the drive today. make a quick call, turn key off. turn it back on a minit later. yay check engine lite! pull a 0237 code. call the girlfreind to help find out whats going on. well i could spool the turbo fine. egts were fine till the point where i pulled over. okay get the code figured out. maybe a sensor wire unplugged.dirty, whatever. i pull the edge comp out of the loop. check the connections. everything is fine. no corosion , dirt, etc.

ok turn truck back on , cel still on. i try to turn it over.... nothing. ok towtruck time. while waitng i check a few other things. nothing that stands out. ok nowe truck wont turn over, and the starter wont even budge the engine. now im thinking new engine time. great i definitly dont have cash for that.

tow it to my shop. clean all the connection i can think of. map sensor. battery terminals. check oil. check fuel for gas. everyting still looking wonderful. clear the code. nothing!

i crawl under the truck with my breaker bar. and try to turn the engine by hand. wont budge. now im freaking out. i have to sell my other vehicle just to get this thing fixed. try to turn it the oppisite way of rotation . it moves. yay ok maybe im not totally screwed. get it about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. go crank it ov er. engine rotates back to where it was and stops. wont go any further.

i go have a beer , then another, then another, thinking to myself. crap it flooded. and locked. i check the coolant. fine and no change in the level, check the oil closer again. all fine. so i figure maybe injector! grab my stock injectors out of my truck.. just happend to grabthem out of my storage unit the day before. start at #6. good. 5,4 both good. get to #3 look down the hole. wow shiny. grab my suction device. and pulled a good 6 ounces of diesel out. #1 and 2 . were fine. . finished puting all the stock injectors in. closed everything up. go to start.

.... truck sputters. hisses . starts. smokes. cleans up. and all is well!

truck will stay stock for a while . drove it to work home. still work s fine.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

wow Queeg that musta had ya goin there for a bit........the ol hydrolock can mess with ya............glad to hear ya got er goin again

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

stock is reliable huh...

Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds kind of like something that happens to me, but i still dont know what causes it so maybe you guys would know. sometimes when i drag race my truck, at the end of the track when i let off the thing will just quit on me. good fuel pressure and everything, but runnin pretty high egt's. bleed the injectors and it fires right up and misses for a lil bit and then runs like nothin ever happened. if i pump the throttle a lil bit when its time to slow down at the end of the track it stays runnin fine. does anyone know what this is or what causes it? should i make a post about this? any help appreciated!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by powerfan985
should i make a post about this? any help appreciated!
yes, please start your own thread about this. that way you'll get help and won't be taking over someone else's thread.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

so now im looking for new injectors. still runs fine. but man its slow. i figured it would take me just over 24 hours to put the edge come back on. but i still need more!