Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Crazy Scare Yesturday (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/4468-crazy-scare-yesturday.html)

Queeg 08-29-2007 05:39 AM

Crazy Scare Yesturday

its kinda long!:w2:

went to work, on the way hit the supply house for some material. noticed my truck hazing a bit while cooling the turbo. figured owell. 100+k on the vp-44 it about time for it to wanna die. turn off the truck do my stuff.

come out drive around back to load up, truck hazing a little worse but. nothing too bad. just a slight puff once in a while. take off get on the freeway. all is well till i floor it to get over for an interchange. truck starts missing. but only at wide open. just got a newer lift pump in. and pressure is good, (thanks AndyMan) notice black smoke this time in the mirror. i panic a little. slow down. truck acts fine.

make about 3 mile down the road to the next interchange, no more smoke. no missing/hesitation. make the transition. bring it back up to 65 and bam.. i smopke out the whole freeway it seemed. truck sputtering. pinging, knocking. more smoke!

i pull over quikly shut off the truck. turn the key on. no check engine light!
i think odd. ok the vp-44 aint givving totally up. just not liking the drive today. make a quick call, turn key off. turn it back on a minit later. yay check engine lite! pull a 0237 code. call the girlfreind to help find out whats going on. well i could spool the turbo fine. egts were fine till the point where i pulled over. okay get the code figured out. maybe a sensor wire unplugged.dirty, whatever. i pull the edge comp out of the loop. check the connections. everything is fine. no corosion , dirt, etc.

ok turn truck back on , cel still on. i try to turn it over.... nothing. ok towtruck time. while waitng i check a few other things. nothing that stands out. ok nowe truck wont turn over, and the starter wont even budge the engine. now im thinking new engine time. great i definitly dont have cash for that.

tow it to my shop. clean all the connection i can think of. map sensor. battery terminals. check oil. check fuel for gas. everyting still looking wonderful. clear the code. nothing!

i crawl under the truck with my breaker bar. and try to turn the engine by hand. wont budge. now im freaking out. i have to sell my other vehicle just to get this thing fixed. try to turn it the oppisite way of rotation . it moves. yay ok maybe im not totally screwed. get it about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. go crank it ov er. engine rotates back to where it was and stops. wont go any further.

i go have a beer , then another, then another, thinking to myself. crap it flooded. and locked. i check the coolant. fine and no change in the level, check the oil closer again. all fine. so i figure maybe injector! grab my stock injectors out of my truck.. just happend to grabthem out of my storage unit the day before. start at #6. good. 5,4 both good. get to #3 look down the hole. wow shiny. grab my suction device. and pulled a good 6 ounces of diesel out. #1 and 2 . were fine. . finished puting all the stock injectors in. closed everything up. go to start.

.... truck sputters. hisses . starts. smokes. cleans up. and all is well!:U::U:

truck will stay stock for a while . drove it to work home. still work s fine.

Whit 08-29-2007 08:03 AM

wow Queeg that musta had ya goin there for a bit........the ol hydrolock can mess with ya............glad to hear ya got er goin again

2001shrtbedcummins 08-29-2007 09:37 AM

stock is reliable huh...lol

powerfan985 08-29-2007 04:45 PM

this sounds kind of like something that happens to me, but i still dont know what causes it so maybe you guys would know. sometimes when i drag race my truck, at the end of the track when i let off the thing will just quit on me. good fuel pressure and everything, but runnin pretty high egt's. bleed the injectors and it fires right up and misses for a lil bit and then runs like nothin ever happened. if i pump the throttle a lil bit when its time to slow down at the end of the track it stays runnin fine. does anyone know what this is or what causes it? should i make a post about this? any help appreciated!

Johnny Cetane 08-29-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by powerfan985 (Post 50869)
should i make a post about this? any help appreciated!

yes, please start your own thread about this. that way you'll get help and won't be taking over someone else's thread. :U::U:

Queeg 08-30-2007 02:03 AM

so now im looking for new injectors. still runs fine. but man its slow. i figured it would take me just over 24 hours to put the edge come back on. but i still need more!