24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

All of a sudden Death WOBBLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All of a sudden Death WOBBLE

I have owned my truck for the past 33000 miles, and did not experience the death wobble until just the other day. I passed over a VERY small dip in the interstate at ~70 mph, and the wobble happened. I had to slow down to about 35 mph to get it to stop. From then on, I have had mild cases of the death wobble. I have a slight vibration above 55 that I attribute to the X-Terrains, but it gets bad from 63 - 67 mph. I went from a 4.5" Skyjacker lift to 2" lift springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, a Don Thuren track bar, and a steering box brace. Where to start? Alignment, ball joints, tie rods, any where? I have a garage now, so diagnostics are much more pleasant.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

To start with lift the front end of the truck off the ground a few inches. Grab the tires one at a time and try to find play either back and forth or up and down, just be careful not to pull the truck off the jack or stands while your doin this. This will check the ball joints and front bearings.

Be sure that new trac bar is still tight and centered.

Have somebody turn the wheel back and forth a little bit while your under the front of the truck looking for any play in the tie rods.

Also check the castle nuts on the tie rod ends and the pitman arm.

Out of one a these things you should find your problem. If it only does this over bumps and not all the time it's not tire balance or out of alignment problems.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The death wobble has happened three times in the last two weeks while going over bumps at or above 70 mph. The vibration (not death wobble) happens exactly between 63 and 67 mph. Hopefully I will get a chance to check those items you suggested this week, Unk. To check the ball joints, do both front wheels need to be of the ground, or can I check them one at a time?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

you can check them one at a time.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt there a brace that stabalizes the steering gear box to the frame rails that cures this problem

Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

not the death wobble. the wobble is the whole front end shifting due to a bad trackbar most of the time.....

have you checked all the bushings in the control arm things (not sure of the Dodge term for these) that hold the axle to the frame?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

That's the trac bar I told him to check out.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
GRI
Diesel Bomber
Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by p_pumpower
isnt there a brace that stabalizes the steering gear box to the frame rails that cures this problem
no the steering brace doesnt cure anything. it is suposed to prevent premature wearing of the sector shaft on the steering box.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

check all of the above.
but I have seen a few times where tires were the issue. if all these things check out. see if you can borrow a friends set of tires and wheels that are the same size and see if it still does it.

Last edited by GRI; 12-02-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

get a dt profab check this thred out https://www.dieselbombers.com/cummin...track-bar.html. this is the thread i started and how i got it resolved. dt profab not in the best of priceranges but its damn near bullet proof

Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benjamin
not the death wobble. the wobble is the whole front end shifting due to a bad trackbar most of the time.....

have you checked all the bushings in the control arm things (not sure of the Dodge term for these) that hold the axle to the frame?
Not yet, but I will add them to the list.

Originally Posted by GRI
I have seen a few times where tires were the issue. if all these things check out. see if you can borrow a friends set of tires and wheels that are the same size and see if it still does it.
I have a buddy with a new set of Toyo's I may need to preform a detailed analysis with.

Quick Reply: All of a sudden Death WOBBLE