24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Razutak
i dont really know what you mean if i have fuel from the vp-44. It still runs real good and everything it just smokes at start ups and once in awhile when you mash the throttle down. Does it have to be taken into the dealership to get those codes?
No you need to get a good code reader like a ScanGauge II or a Smarty...

But just like a gasser you can disconnect the vacuum advance and still run the engine. It just that you don't get advancement of timing when its needed. So back to diesel relm the white smoke is cause because the timing is too retarded. So since the VP44 can control the advancement any longer normally the P0216 error code is thrown...

Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Razutak
Ya it reads the speed off of the rear axle. The wireing harness wears out in them and whenever mine gets wet it throws a code. Also if i do a nice burnout it will throw it to
The burnout is what does it....spinning the rear wheels causes the P0500...it usually will go away on its own after so many starts.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
The burnout is what does it....spinning the rear wheels causes the P0500...it usually will go away on its own after so many starts.
Here is the the document on how long it take for a code to reset...

Trip Indicator
The Trip is essential for running monitors and extinguishing the MIL. In OBD II terms, a trip is a set of vehicle operating conditions that must be met for a specific monitor to run. All trips begin with a key cycle.
Good Trip
The Good Trip counters are as follows:
● Specific Good Trip
● Fuel System Good Trip
● Misfire Good Trip
● Alternate Good Trip (appears as a Global Good Trip on DRB III)
● Comprehensive Components
● Major Monitor
● Warm-Up Cycles
Specific Good Trip
The term Good Trip has different meanings depending on the circumstances:
●If the MIL is OFF, a trip is defined as when the Oxygen Sensor Monitor and the Catalyst Monitor have been completed in the same drive cycle.
● If the MIL is ON and a DTC was set by the Fuel Monitor or Misfire Monitor (both continuous monitors), the vehicle must be operated in the Similar Condition Window for a specified amount of time.
● If the MIL is ON and a DTC was set by a Task Manager commanded once-per-trip monitor (such asthe Oxygen Sensor Monitor, Catalyst Monitor, Purge Flow Monitor, Leak Detection Pump Monitor, EGR Monitor or Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor), a good trip is when the monitor is passed on the next startup.
● If the MIL is ON and any other emissions DTC was set (not an OBD II monitor), a good trip occurs when the Oxygen Sensor Monitor and Catalyst Monitor have been completed, or two minutes of engine run time if the Oxygen Sensor Monitor and Catalyst Monitor have been stopped from running.
Fuel System Good Trip
To count a good trip (three required) and turn off the MIL, the following conditions must occur:
● Engine in closed loop
● Operating in Similar Conditions Window
● Short Term multiplied by Long Term less than threshold
● Less than threshold for a predetermined time If all of the previous criteria are met, the PCM will count a good trip (three required) and turn off the MIL.
Misfire Good Trip
If the following conditions are met the PCM will count one good trip (three required) in order to turn off the MIL:
● Operating in Similar Condition Window
● 1000 engine revolutions with no misfire
Warm-Up Cycles
Once the MIL has been extinguished by the Good Trip Counter, the PCM automatically switches to a Warm-Up Cycle Counter that can be viewed on the DRB III. Warm-Up Cycles are used to erase DTCs and Freeze Frames. Forty Warm-Up cycles must occur in order for the PCM to self-erase a DTC and Freeze Frame. A Warm-Up Cycle is defined as follows:
● Engine coolant temperature must start below and rise above 160° F
● Engine coolant temperature must rise by 40° F
● No further faults occur

Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do ya'll think about an injector "pop" going south or injector pintle just not holding anymore?
I have some junkers (some I bought used that were supposed to have been some brand name good pieces that turned out to be some stockers run through an Extrudehone process with uneven diameter holes) in the toolbox that leak as soon as you start putting pressure to them with my pop tester.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
BOMBARDIER

Well thats another thought...but I probably wouldnt be looking at injectors before I knew the IP was good.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i just sold my sled so i have some extra cash so i might just end up taking it in and having a new injector pump put in to. I also want to get rid of the erratic idle. Its always going up and down.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 AM
BOMBARDIER

Do you have another set of injectors you could swap in?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No but they are still under warranty so if i needed to or my guy that does alot of the work thought it was the injectors said he could test them and see if its the problem. im gonna have to take it up to him sometime and have him check it over