24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch problem

Greetings, The truck got a new clutch this weekend. Centerforce dual friction, flywheel resurfaced, new throwout bearings (identical to factory one), new pilot bushing, new input shaft seal for trans, new front output seal for transfer case. All went really smooth until i expected the clutch to disengage. The truck was very difficult to get into gear. Thought it could be the hydraulics so the whole unit was replaced. Did not solve the issue. The trans is still very tough to get into gear and thats with the clutch on the floor fully depressed. The pedal feels solid but does nothing till and and inch from the floor. While driving the clutch is fully engaged if you even think of letting off the floor with the pedal and still a hard shift while driving. With the hydros out it doesnt seem there is much slack at all with the pivot arm. Also the clutch seems to chatter. I have run centerforce in my camaro and they have been awesome. Long winded I lknow but any thoughts or suggestions would help. Thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

The only thing that i can think of is one of the clutch discs could be put in on the wrong side.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see how that could happen;however, this is a single disc clutch. I was very careful to match the side of the disc that says "Flywheel side" to the flywheel. I appreciate the input though. I called centerforce and they said I should have replaced the flywheel. I have done a few clutches before by resurfacing and all of them were fine. Anybody had poor luck with resurfacing? A friend of mine has had his flywheel turned three times and has no issues.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oil Igniter
I see how that could happen;however, this is a single disc clutch. I was very careful to match the side of the disc that says "Flywheel side" to the flywheel. I appreciate the input though. I called centerforce and they said I should have replaced the flywheel. I have done a few clutches before by resurfacing and all of them were fine. Anybody had poor luck with resurfacing? A friend of mine has had his flywheel turned three times and has no issues.
I have heard of puttings shims Not sure exactly where maybe behind the flywheels where the crank bolts. To actually push the flywheel back the same distance that was removed when resurfaced. Sounds crazy I know, but sometimes .010 can make a big difference. Id say its definitely worth a better look on that matter.