1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

options for new brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default options for new brakes...

The time has come to do a brake job on this truck and I was hoping to get a little feedback on the available options. First, I had my eye on the EBC green stuff pads for towing until I saw they were $98 a set. Now I don't have a problem spending that if they are worth it so if any of you can weigh in on their worth I would appreciate it. The second option im looking at is a set from R1 on EBAY. Im hesitant to bite on this set since they are pretty cheap. They are a set of cross drilled and vented rotors with ceramic pads for about $200. Through a little research I've found that they buy the blank rotors from Centric and do their drilling and just re brand them, so I feel like they should be decent quality. I know this is a popular upgrade on cars, but that is obviously a completely different application. If any of you have tried either of these or have had success with something else out there I would greatly appreciate the input.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

semi or matallic pads in 99% of all cases are just about perfect for a DD truck that sees some towing. they work well wear a bit faster the ceramics but cost WAY less organic stuff wears fast but is super quiet and dusty. if you have big fancy wheels i would recomend looking into ceramics due to the lack of dust other than that get a good quality metallic pad from napa of o-reilly rotors are up to you. factories work just fine the vented slotted stuff is to help with heat which they do but not so much needed on most trucks.

dont know what your pocket book is like but converting your vacuum brakes to the later model hydroboost systems is a big plus

Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Drilled and slotted rotors would help tremendously with pads that gas, like organics and minimize the brake fade. Organics have fantastic grip cold but fade almost instantly when hot. Semi metallics/metallics are noisy and last a long time but that's because they wear the rotor just as much as the pad itself. They have grip equal to organics but have better heat characteristics. Ceramics as said are quiet and damn near dustless, They don't grip as well cold but make up for it when warm and maintain their grip when hot if it's a quality ceramic pad. When you start talkin about the EBC red stuff and green stuff I can't speak from experience and idk the characteristics of a Kevlar pad at any rate. My personal preference is a good ceramic. Unless you tow HEAVY and have no trailer brakes, I doubt you'd need the drilled/slotted rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks alot for the input guys, i don't think ill go as far to convert it to hydro boost. Im grades sown to the local parts places to price this out. I do tow regularly, but not too heavy. Ill keep in mind what you all said.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

best thing you can do is go ahead and put 3 inch shoes on the rear along with dismantling the ABS valve, and keep them adjusted, stock stuff on the front.

you won't believe how much better it will stop.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
best thing you can do is go ahead and put 3 inch shoes on the rear along with dismantling the ABS valve, and keep them adjusted, stock stuff on the front.

you won't believe how much better it will stop.
My rear would slide sideways in a turn on wet roads with the 3" shoes. Didn't get the 1 ton wheel cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Diesel Fan

It sounds like the larger rear shoes hive it a little too much rear bias. Mine is an srw as well maybe I should stay away from that.