24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Brakes are super touchy, lock up instead of pulse

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes are super touchy, lock up instead of pulse

Hey guys I have a 98.5 24 valve and the brakes on the thing are stupidly touchy if I'm driving anything less than 50 mph or have a load. When I push on them they pretty much go from not engaged to locked (ok not quite locked but damn close). I also know that when the brakes do lock, the abs is not engaging. I was pulling a horse trailer and had to slam on the brakes at 50 with no trailer brakes. Lost a 1/2 tread to the road on a 5" spot on the tire to the road......niether the abs or brake light are on and the speedo/ ODO work perfectly. Wanting to know if maybe there is something else other than the abs module that would cause this. Thanks guys.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Is it a rear brake or front or are all wheels locking up? There maybe a broken spring or another piece of hardware, shoe ect. jamming the brake. If I remember right there is a sensor in the rear diff for the rear anti lock. Need more info and post this over to the distress.