1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

weird ticking under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Pressing the clutch in would reduce the drag on your rear while decelerating minimalizing the noise. And obviously you'll have added pressure on the ring gear under acceleration. Both could cause the click if there's a chipped ring/pinion tooth. I'd check into the health of the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to eliminate that possibility today.

I plan to take the rear drive shaft out and take it for a ride in 4wd. that will limit it down to the transfer case rear bearing or something inside the case.

If the noise goes away when the drive shaft is out I am going to check over the other u joint once again and if it has any play i will replace it. at the same time I will check the slip joint better and then pull the cover on the pumpkin,

This is just getting frustrating because it is my only vehicle. I just sold my 87 150 a few weeks ago and kinda regretting it right now.

Thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I finally found the cause of the problem...

I popped the rear cover off and found two teeth. One was 1/2 gone and the other was almost all the way gone.

Any body have a tutorial to change a ring gear? Im sure i could figure it out but a walk through would be nice,

Thanks

Kody

Last edited by Kody; 12-27-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Going to need a case spreader, just make sure you keep the shim pack from the left bearing cup and the right bearing cup separate. Figure out your gear ratio, get a replacement ring. New bolts too. Remove the old bolts and a few taps side to side should drop the ring right off. Heat up the new ring gear in a pan of hot water to expand it for easier installation. The ring gear bolts should be long enough to be ran in a thread or two with out seating the gear. Doing so will prevent hole misalignment. Should be able to pull the gear on the differential gradually with no issues. May even slide right over the differential being hot. Little bit of thread locker never hurt anything either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Diesel Fan

so I have to remove the axles tubes?

right Now I have the cover off both axle shafts and drive shaft off. I removed the keepers on each side of the differential. My thoughts were it would just pop out.

please elaborate a little more. Thank you,

Kody

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It should come right.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Diesel Fan

yea I looked into it a lil more. If I get a prybar on it it should come out.

I could build a case puller but many people say they've never used one and they have had good results.

I ordered a new ring and pinion with new bolts. My pinion is in good shape still i don't know should I replace it while im there? could it be worn that much to effect it if not replaced?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ring and pinion are a matched set! you dont mix them!!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Diesel Fan

that is what I figured but I was not sure. Makes sense cause the gears cout be cut at a slightly different angle.

Thanks,

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Here is a picture

Name:  1228111229.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  72.4 KB

Last edited by Kody; 12-28-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Default Ticking type noise

I have a 1997 k2500 6.5 turbo diesel L65 w/220k miles. I have a similar problem. I know this is an old thread but when I search for this problem not much shows up for this truck. I ask in other forums and I get a bunch of smart a$$ answers like swap it for a Dmax or a Cummins. I know the 6.5 is a POS, but I have to fix it.
I have a ticking/clicking noise in the engine bay. I have a manual transmission. I put it in neutral. At idle you dont hear anything abnormal. But, when I accelerate it makes this ticking noise. Kinda reminds me of when the injection pump died on me or when the radiator sprung a leak. That being said i have a brand new radiator and ds4 electronic ip. Brand new lift pump, heads, head gaskets, exhaust manifolds and gaskets, valve cover and intake gaskets, new marine injectors, new gp - all torqued to spec. After doing the head job my lifters sounded like typewriters. I ran seafoam through it and did an oil change. That seemed to work. I drove it for a week then it started sounding like $hit. Like an old Ford gasser with exhaust leaks. I also have new donut gaskets on my crossover. I also noticed im not holding boost pressure like it was. Im getting boost but it wont hold steady. Engine runs great except for this noise. I have it parked. Im not driving it until i figure this out.
Also, I've relocated the pmd to the front bumper, deleted vacuum pump and installed manual wastegate, deleted ac pump, and ran straight pipe exhaust stack straight out of the hood. Any input would be appreciated. If I had the $$$$ I would swap it for a Cummins in a heartbeat