1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

weird ticking under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird ticking under acceleration

Hello,

Just recently I heard an odd sound that sounded like the intake tube on the turbo was off. I didn't think anything of it and went to check it when I stopped but the tube was still connected.

The next day a ticking started. It only does it in gear. It also only does it when you have a little more than 1/4 throttle.

My thoughts were to check and try to over fill the tranny because it does have a slight leak in the output side of the transfer case.

I had just read a thread about a ticking and he was told it could be exhaust side turbo bearings? My turbo has very minimal shaft play.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

define tick to some people a tick is a knock and a knock is a bang and a bang is a boom if you get my drift.........

a tick is more like a valve clatter sound kinda quiet (usually) is it heard at any point in the throttle or just at 1/4? dose it speed up with RPM or MPH?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Diesel Fan

Hello,

it is more of a clicking.

I think I have found the problem,

me rear u joint has a ton of slop in it and the boot for the transfer case has a hole in it.

there for the clicking clacking noise is coming through the boot for the transfer case and makes me think it is internal.

Got new u joint just have to put it in and see.

Thanks for the reply though.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Hey, just curious, is ur transfer case linkage really loose? Try moving the transfer case lever just a quarter inch forward when you hear the noise.. Your gears could be touching as you drive causing the sound, if your linkage is sloppy.. Mine used to do this, until I replaced the linkage.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Diesel Fan

yea that was my original thought but didn't fix it.

gotta change the u joint and see

Thank you,

Old 12-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Diesel Fan

K,
Good luck man! Hope that does the trick, keep us posted!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Diesel Fan

Samething is happing to my truck it does it at low speed and speeds up until about 30mph. then goes quite. i think its my u joint it has some play in it. if you replace your u joints post it if the noise went away. i dont want to tear into my tansfer case or rear end.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Now Im worried,

replaced the u Joint, Checked all the others

filled the transmission (not over full but I put 5quarts in because that was all I got.)

And the noise is still there. I tried putting it in 4wheel (with hubs unlocked) and it is still there.
It only happens under load. like if Im going through town the speed limit is 35 so if I coast it does nothing but if i give it throttle to get up to speed it will click.
When you push the clutch in it goes away.

My question is, does the transfer case fill off the transmission oil in these trucks? That may be a stupid question but ive never really worked on the transmission in this truck.

i don't think there is a problem with the transmission. But Im not really sure what is wrong. I tried feeling for vibrations on the transfer case lever and the gear shifter but there is nothing abnormal.

i really hope somebody knows what this might be. if not Im gonna take it to a transmission shop in town to see what he thinks it could be,

Thanks guys

Old 12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Diesel Fan

no that transfer case fills from a hole that is on the output shaft of it. i just got my u joint put in gonna see if that was making the noise. if your truck has a slipe spline check it gor grease or play cause that can also start to make a squeeling noise.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Diesel Fan

that is what I thought,

I need to take it for another ride i had put 3 more quarts in.
I can't visually find anything loose sloppy or whatever.

Could it be in the rear end? like teeth on the ring gear. But that wouldn't make sense cause this only does it at road speed and only under load.

ill have to double check everything again,

thanks

Quick Reply: weird ticking under acceleration