1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Can someone tell me whats wrong with this thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still wont start

I cant do a compresson check dont have the stuff to do it. So far i have done the fuel cut off switch, new mechanical pump on the side of the motor checked for fuel leaks. Will the check valve be on the return line or intake side of the fuel line. i have not seen any type of check valve on this thing what so ever. I tried tapping on the side of the injection pump while someone was cranking it. Please explain how to bleed off for air pockets. PS. if someone lives in iowa and wants to check this thing out send me a PH # and i will call you or if you can try and help on the phone give me your number or ask for mine. This is starting to bother the crap out of me. thanks much, Rusty

Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

if it was a fuel leak wouldn't he be able to see fuel on the ground where he parked or smell also?

whenever your trying to start if after cranking on it right before it catches does it start to make a different sound like it's about to start for a few seconds before it'll finally catch?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dodge W350

The only thing that it does is crank. Doesnt make any sounds like it is wanting to fire or anything. Today i ran a hose from the transfer pump to the tank and blead out all the air. I took a small hose and put a screw driver in it and clamped it to the fuel return line to make it a dead end thinking that i might have a air leak there. Tried to start it and still just cranked. Checked the voltage on the fuel heater and wired the fuel cut off direct just to make sure it was getting full power. Let me ask this. should this truck have one or two batteries. It only has one but been putting the hi amp charger on it while i crank. The only thing i can think of now is the injection pump. Any more ideas would be helpfull. Thank you all that has helped me so far.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Tap on the head near the solenoid with something solid, like a ratchet wrench.
If it fires, the governor may be hanging it up in de-fuel.
Had this problem on my '91 1 ton, it would start fine cold, and the warmer it got, the worse it got.
It got to the point that even tapping on it wouldn't get it to fire, but just a whiff of ether and it would fire off, and run at a higher rpm no problem.
It would NOT idle hot.

Swapped out the pump, problem solved.

Still have to dissect the old one.
It had veggie oil/Biodiesel ran through it and was scummy from it, but I don't think that was it's main issue, but it did contribute.

Mark.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wont start

try the lift pump mind has a small leak and does the same thing