1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

First Long run issues...:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Long run issues...:(

Hey All, So I took the 93 Dodge on it's first REAL trip yesterday. I had to deliver a Ford 429 Motor and tranny over the Mountain to Redmond. The trip is 140 miles and I had to run over 2 passes...

I Developed a transmission issue along the way that came and went sporadically....
It is stock with OD and No Lock up Converter...

I passed a Semi doing 50mph on a hill, and got the truck up to around 75 in the process....
Shortly after doing this while still climbing the pass, the thing would randomly kick out of Overdrive into 3rd and stay there till I ran it back up over 72 or so.....? then even on the down grade I was doing 65-70 and the thing would still kick out of OD and go to 3rd then slide back into OD....? I do not have any guages in the truck yet, my Engine temp guage never got hot, Trans Fluid is Fresh, Engine was having no issues, Once back on flat ground and I let it run easy for a while, It seemed to do better....?

Any Ideas...?

Thanks, John

Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

most of the times its an electrical issue when this happens. do some searching there have been alot of problems like this one before. check in the sticky on how to adjust the tps that sometimes will cause it and also a faulty computer will cause this as well

Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue Fixed....

So I took the truck on another long run to Seattle yesterday...Drove from Eugene to North Tacoma without a hitch.....I had adjusted the Tps so it was in it's happy spot, and thought I had cured the 3-4 shift issue....

So just North of Tacoma the traffic is getting crowded, and pulling my empty trailer I hompped on the right pedal to get around some Slower folks....My issue appears again....
Hummin along at 80 in OD, it slides back into 3rd....NOT GOOD.....

So After several calls to my Good Bud who was sitting patiently at his computer for me...

I find that my Spring going to the TV cable/ kickdown cable / is missing....and as it had been missing since before I inheritted the truck, I was none the wiser for it being gone...... So today I installed a new spring , and re-adjusted the TPS again, and The truck is Happy again........

And then as I am looking back thru the TPS thread in the sticky, I notice in the First pic/figure 1 that there is not only the idle return spring going forward to the timing gear cover, but there is a secondary spring attached from the throttle plate to the TV cable as a return for the TV cable....

GO FIGURE......

So now it's off for another all day trip to K-Falls...anyone need anything brought north from down there.....?

I'll check mail in the am before I leave....John.