Headlights issues - Diesel Bombers

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Default Headlights issues

I was coming home from work this morning and all of a sudden my headlights turn off but all my markers and dash lights are still on. I replaced the headlight switch about a month ago with a BWD switch the plug was not melted. It wasn't the bumps in the road when I finally found the side of the road my headlights were still flickering on and off where should I start looking is it maybe a relay
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, check the relay. Then I would start checking the wiring from the headlights back, and see if you find a wire rubbing against something or a short.
Flickering on and off sounds like a loose ground or ground issue.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Diesel Fan

I will check it out in the morning thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead87 View Post
...when I finally found the side of the road my headlights were still flickering on and off...
Not a relay. If a relay goes, the lights don't flicker. You already got some sound advice; checking the wiring for an intermittent ground is a good idea. I'd wager your new switch failed, though. Borg Warner (BWD) used to make high-quality parts before they were bought out by SMP Global. Now that switch you just replaced is Chinese-made and unreliable at best. I've had two BWD VSS failures in as many months on the second gen.

Just something to chew on while you chase wires.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

When I had headlight problems it was the highbeam/signal switch in the column. I didn't have time or $$ to get a replacement, so I broke out the relevant wires from the switch and extended them to an oldschool floor mounted pushbutton.

I still havent changed the column switch....
Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
When I had headlight problems it was the highbeam/signal switch in the column. I didn't have time or $$ to get a replacement, so I broke out the relevant wires from the switch and extended them to an oldschool floor mounted pushbutton.

I still havent changed the column switch....
Listen to this guy ^. I did this before I had problems with the column switch. Heads off the BS at the pass and it's so easy a woman could do it.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Diesel Fan

It's been 3 days and I have had no issues after I changed the switch. Going to run through the wires and grounds just to be safe this weekend