12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

turning barrels

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i hate that this thread has gotten so cluttered. if its not so good of a modification than by all means tell us. more than a -it just is trust me kinda thing- the more and more i dig into this the more positive outcomes i find, and not once have i heard any factual negitive outcomes. i understand the potentials for falures when you are going for maximum HP, but at a poorboys stand point, where perfection is nice but not always necessary what gives? it is true that #1 cylinder might run 8* warmer than #4 and # 3 might run 12* cooler than #5 ect ect, but if all these #'s are at lower HP#'s and EGT's are well controlled what are the dangers of turning the barrels??? for gods sake someone smarter than us please end this little debockle. LOL

Last edited by turbo2332; 12-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, it's a risk. It's one I'm willing to take. If it would have run rough after I did it what have I lost. Take it off and take to a pump shop.

If you are scared to modify something leave it alone, that simple. For those of us that aren't it's a good mod. Heck I worked on my 95 almost all day sat. putting a shift kit in. Did I think it would work after I got done. About a 50-50 chance, I don't have much luck with transmission work. It did work so that is money saved. The alternative was spend the money at a shop,same money if what I did wouldn't have worked.

I understand some people nay saying the mods we do to these trucks. I'm not one of them. I understand the downfall of cost for mods and willing to take the risk if it doesn't work. If you can't afford to fix what you do to your vehicle leave it alone. It's a pretty simple formula. Sorry to preach and I understand what you are saying, I've had some of these expensive mistakes. Does it stop me, no.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hate to bring up a thread thats been dead for a few days but, i turned the barrels on my truck, had 5 cylinders within 5 degrees of each other and one that was about 12 so i adjusted it and went to start it now ive got nothing, it will crank and crank but nothing. i tried putting them all back as close to stock as i could but still wont start. any ideas? i checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and manually pulled it up to remove doubt but it still just cranked.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

First time I've heard of this turning barrels. Almost sounds like the rack stuck closed but I'm no pump expert. You had it running after turning the barrels but it wouldn't start after moving them back some? Sounds simple but did you give it some peddle when trying to start it? I think I had to bump my idle down when I did it.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Diesel Bomber

did you remember to retighten the injector lines??? mine was hard to start after i did it because it had a bit of air in the lines. also since you have the 5 speed i would DEF have a buddy bull you down the road bet it fires up in the first 10 feet. air SUCKS! specially when its cold

Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Hadn't thought of the air. I didn't have that problem. It might be better to pull the truck rather than bull it though!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes i retightend my injector lines and usually after i would move the barrels it would start right up and have no problems. yes i did use some throttle pedal and still nothing. i turned the motor over and had the first injector line at the delivery valve holder off and it didnt seem to push fuel.but there was fuel there.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Diesel Bomber

im confuzed???

1. the truck ran fine
2. barrels were turned then ??? no start or, ran good for awhile or what???
3. if you can crank the engine over and not fuel sprays 500 feet from the dv holder there is something going on?
4.is there fuel to the pump, is any returning?
5.for sure no way in hell the shut down lever is bound somewhere?
6.you had all the lines off to check them evenly? this screams air to me, did you bleed the lines at the injectors if the lines came all the way off at the holders? but with no fuel at the holder you got me till further diagnosis?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

the truck was running fine but one cylinder was almost 10 degrees hotter then the others i cut the truck off backed that barrel back slightly,tightend everything up and then it wouldnt start, so i pulled the fuel shutoff lever up to make sure that it wasnt the problem and it still wouldnt start.

when i took the fuel line off to the first injector and turned it over i wasnt getting anything even if i pulled the fuel shutoff manually up, but you could see there was fuel in the barrel.

i did one or two lines at a time depending on what was hotter then the others, but only when i loosend the nut on that one line and turned that barrel thats when it wouldnt start.

and i know there is fuel in the fuel filter.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Diesel Bomber

k. couple of the cylinders will run hotter then the other due to air flow restrictions.

check to see if you have fuel after your lift pump. if your truck was running fine it will run on just a few cylinders, like hell but run. so 1 being out of wack isnt the root of the probkem. are you getting bunches of white smoke? when did you adjust your timing?

turning the barrel just moves it x degrees at which it takes in fuel

Quick Reply: turning barrels