12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

redneck way to set timeing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Never seen one - any idea what they are worth?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is the spill port method and how is it done???

Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I have no idea I would like to have one but I dont know who makes or sells them

Originally Posted by 12.valve.hauler
what is the spill port method and how is it done???
there was a good write up in diesel power mag about it. I'll see if I can find it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

different timing method? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

here is some info on it ... I would use the dial method it will get you very close and save some time. once you start changeing things like dv's, injectors, and fuel lines your timing will change. Thats why I would like to find a timing light, it should be more accurate than the dial method

Last edited by 94 12valve; 11-12-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Evil (11-12-2009)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remove delivery valve and spring and put a piece of old fuel line in place, find TDC #1, reverse rotation ~30-40 degrees from TDC mark to remove backlash, loosen nut on pump gear, pull gear off shalf and clean shaft, rotate engine to desired timing mark BTDC, have someone pump primer to charge fuel gallery while you rotate shaft until port closer on #1 while crank is at timing mark, once port closer is achieved snug nut on pump gear and torque lightly to hold in place, rotate crank backwards to ~40 BTDC degrees again, rotate back tward timing mark while checking for port closer (2-6 drips/ 10 sec.). if spec is right, torque nut to 160 ft lbs. repeat to check timing is still correct, then reasemble if correct

ok im not totally understanding this. how is the pump turning when the pump ger is off or loose. what is a port closer. why cant you find top dead center lay out the degrees on the crank pulley, pull the pump gear off and rotate the crank to desired advance and put the pump gear back on??

Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Blue point makes what they call a "pulse adapter" that converts the pulse of the #1 injector into a signal for your timing light. I talked to the snap on guy today and he says the pulse adapter should work with any timing light that has an advance.

All you have to do is hook the pulse adapter up to the injector line, hook your timing light into the adapter, and mark the damper for TDC. Dial the gun in useing the advance just like a gasser.

I bought one today for $260 shipped, I will play with it and let you guys know how I like it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by 12.valve.hauler
remove delivery valve and spring and put a piece of old fuel line in place, find TDC #1, reverse rotation ~30-40 degrees from TDC mark to remove backlash, loosen nut on pump gear, pull gear off shalf and clean shaft, rotate engine to desired timing mark BTDC, have someone pump primer to charge fuel gallery while you rotate shaft until port closer on #1 while crank is at timing mark, once port closer is achieved snug nut on pump gear and torque lightly to hold in place, rotate crank backwards to ~40 BTDC degrees again, rotate back tward timing mark while checking for port closer (2-6 drips/ 10 sec.). if spec is right, torque nut to 160 ft lbs. repeat to check timing is still correct, then reasemble if correct

ok im not totally understanding this. how is the pump turning when the pump ger is off or loose. what is a port closer. why cant you find top dead center lay out the degrees on the crank pulley, pull the pump gear off and rotate the crank to desired advance and put the pump gear back on??

Its refering to spill port closer, from my understanding that is when the plunger closes off the spill port and actually injects fuel to the injectors.

Last edited by 94 12valve; 12-16-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 AM
BTI
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all of the methods compare the same, as in are they all just as accurate.
Spill, light and dial indicator?
I would think the dial indicator would be the most accurate.

KO

Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have read that the spill port is the most accurate.....IDK though as I have only seen the dial indicator method used.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Diesel Bomber

I would say the timing light ... IMO heres why when you change things like line size and injector pop that could also retard or advance your timing slightly. the light tells you when the injector opens and is injecting fuel so makes up for the other changes you have done.

the dial and spill port tell you when the pump is flowing fuel not the injectors

Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusterb318
I would not do it this way but I have heard this has been done:

It was described to me that you set TDC and push in the pin, pop the gear on the P-Pump and then pull the pin and roll the motor with the alt and put the gear back on. They claim that 1/8" move of the belt in reverese rotation will advace the timing 2*.

I have done it this way on the 97 in my sig about 7 years ago and it's still running with around 400,000 on the clock now.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

where should you set the timing for a street truck?

Quick Reply: redneck way to set timeing?