12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Turbo problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo problem??

Hello, first time poster here!

Ok, let me give you a little bit of background on my truck, last Nov I took it in to the local diesel shop because I noticed a fuel smell, it had lost some of it's power over the years so I was pretty sure the injection pump had to be replaced. Sure enough the mechanic says that the pump is wore out so he puts a new pump on it. When he takes it for a road test he noticed the turbo was whistling REALLY loud, he traced the problem to a bad diaphram in the wastegate, said it wasn't opening.
Anyway, he replaces the wastegate and braided hose and I get the truck back. Turbo whistle is definatly louder but it's running smooth so I dont worry about it much.

My truck sat pretty much idle all winter long, I noticed this spring that when the turbo is producing boost (this is going to sound stupid, but bear with me!) it sounded like it was sputtering or just skipping a beat. The engine was running smooth as can be, the only noticeable problem was in the sputtering sounding turbo.
I have owned this truck since new and have driven over 1.2 million miles in a semi so I know what a turbo is suppose to sound like and this is definatly not right!

I thought about taking it back to the shop that worked on it, but I really wasn't pleased with my first time going to them for the injection pump. The first pump (that they installed)had to be replaced because the truck wouldn't idle smoothly, when I asked why he would even release the truck back to me he said he never noticed the rough idle due to the straight pipe exhaust. He changed his tune when he seen the tach jumping and agreed there was a problem. I just fear taking it back to them they might screw somthing else up. The shop seems to have a good fan base with the farmers that take their tractors to them, but I have talked to three other folks (since getting my truck back) that had less than favorable things to say after they had worked on their pick up trucks. Lets hope they stick to farm tractors!

I am very mechanically inclined when it comes to gasoline engines, but I just know the basics on the diesels. I appreciate any help I can get figuring out this problem and getting pointed in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

First off

Now that thats done lets mess with your turbo!

Pull the intake boot off the front of it and grab the shaft (with the truck off obviously) there should be a little side to side play, but not enough to make the wheel hit the housing, and no in and out play. Next give it a few spins. It should spin free and easy and should keep spinning a little bit after you let go.

If all that checks out lets look for boost leaks. Read through this thread, build the boost tester and check your truck for leaks.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/cummin...tructions.html

Let us know what you come up with!

Again welcome to the site!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts