6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

6.7 computer programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.7 computer programming

o.k. I'm very new to the diesel stuff, but have been an avid drag racer running ls1 stuff for several years now.

We have a good 3 or 4 programs out that let us program the stock computer, as do the ford guys for the mod motors so that we can pretty much do whatever we want with them, run anything for injectors, turn stuff on and off as needed, etc.etc.

Is anyone working on a software that would allow us to do the same with the diesel computer? I'd love nothing more then to be able to just hook the laptop up to the dash port and program away... turning stuff like EGR and the DPF related codes to a ready no report status like we do with the car's, and then remove all the BS that's on the trucks and get the perofrmance and mileage that we should be, but apparently there's no software out there that will do this.

My question is, why? I am sure it's not because the computer can't be reprogrammed, it's a computer, and it will do whatever you tell it to. Just a matter of cracking the code and getting the needed software and cable.

Anyone working on anything like HP tuners for the computer's in our trucks?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Diesel Fan

unfortunately, us cummins guys dont have anything as sweet as the EFILive for the dmax. the smarty for the 6.7 seems promising, but there are guys on here way more knowledgeable on that than myself. there are a lot of programmers out there that once installed override or fool sensors to add more fuel or boost or pressure. some mildy affect timing, some a little more. from what i understand the new smarty for th 6.7 should be the best. i think the PMT and XRT are next in line as far as modification ability goes and then the edge and then the rest such as diablo sport and the many other brands.

i think that unlike gas injection and ignition timing, newer diesel engines are more complicated due almost completely to the common rail and the piezio/solenoid operated injectors that can chatter open and closed a thousand times a second. to rewrite a program completely sounds a little too much work when just changing injection timing, fuel injection duration, and fooling a map sensor works so so well

Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Diesel Fan

I would love to see someone crack this POS chrysler computer and be able to reprogram it that would open up a whole new world for us. Mads is the one that does the smarty but its not the same as EFI Live.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

EFI live and HP tuners are 2 of the better programs out for the ls1 stuff that I've been racing with since 2004

Hell LS1Edit isn't even that bad, it's not quite as advanced, but it's still a viable programming tool that can be adequate for alot of people.

Be killer to get a program like any of those for the dodge/cummins computer. I hope someone with the ability to make it happen is reading this.....

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should reallylook hard at the XRT, complete race only tunes, up to 220hp , then start stacking and adding other items

Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Honestly I am not looking for that much of a gain.. more the ability to be able to turn off codes as needed, pick up about 100 hp/tq, and get the mileage up as best I can.

Being able to play with the computer like I can with the race car.... would make this an easy task to complete.

Stacking systems on top of each other, that to me sounds like a good way to run into problems. The more electronic stuff you add the more problems you can have.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i highly doubt that anyone has a program for your laptop to modify the ecm on the 6.7 however there a re two companies making dpf delete kits, h&s performance and badp if all you want is 100 hp i suggest the stage 2 kit from h&s performance. you can find it here: H&S Performance - Dodge Code Free Race DPF Delete Kits