6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise

About a year ago, I added an extra 100 gal diesel tank on my 6.7, 7.5. It was a used tank; the paint started pealing off just recently so I painted it black. One of my co-workers told me that I made a big mistake because diesel has a low flash point; since I'm from Texas, this has me very concerned. Can anyone give me information on this. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

So are you concerned the paint will cause static electricity or absorb too much heat?? It takes more than a spark to ignite diesel. Takes approx. 1000+ deg to lite a fire.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

yeah you aint got nothin to worry about, diesel has a high flash point and like bill said you need at least a propane torch usually to get it burning good...

Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Also with 100 gals of fuel, it's going to take extreme amounts of heat to get er "boiling".

Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Texas Mafia
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

On the our work 'trucks' we have 85 gallon fuel tanks that are mounted on the side of the trucks right behind the engine, next to the transmission, they are black and we have no problems. The fuel gets hot but nothing to worry about.
By the way, we are in Texas too!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kind of off topic but i just put a new 80 gal fuel tank in our tractor about 2 years ago and its black and fastened on the side of the tractor next to the engine and no problems on top of that in the summer the hot ole sun even hits it all day so i wouldnt worry about it

Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks; I figured there was not going to be a problems but I wanted to be safe then sorry. I appreciate the response.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

Welcome to DieselBombers

I see many tanks (New) that are saddlebag tanks and they are black with gasoline. It takes a lot more to ignite diesel than it does gas. You will be just fine

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do not shoot your tank with continous rounds of tracers!

Years back, remember we had to shoot so many rounds of tracers in bad guys fuel tank to set it off. We thought the first one will set it off, but do not know why it did not, it was center hit too, the first one gone through and did not do anything. But when it was hit with few more, it was A success. And it sure was a beautiful sight!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lmoe
About a year ago, I added an extra 100 gal diesel tank on my 6.7, 7.5. It was a used tank; the paint started pealing off just recently so I painted it black. One of my co-workers told me that I made a big mistake because diesel has a low flash point; since I'm from Texas, this has me very concerned. Can anyone give me information on this. Thanks.
You're in the same area I am.. you have nothing to worry about. It does get hot around here but not hot enough to worry about a black fuel tank.. The tank in my Jeep is black and it hasn't blown up yet.. even when I hit a tree backwards in the middle of July out at Gilmer with it well over 100 degrees outside.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by MRowsh
Just do not shoot your tank with continous rounds of tracers!

Years back, remember we had to shoot so many rounds of tracers in bad guys fuel tank to set it off. We thought the first one will set it off, but do not know why it did not, it was center hit too, the first one gone through and did not do anything. But when it was hit with few more, it was A success. And it sure was a beautiful sight!
One shot from an MLRS 6-pack will ignite it.. I sure miss WSMR.

Last edited by ETXBlueRam; 03-22-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Need advise