5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Current Dmax owner might switch to Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Current Dmax owner might switch to Cummins

Ok guys, currently own a 04.5 duramax. Thinking of purchasing an 05 dodge 2500 cummins. so heres where the discussion comes in...... automatic, or manuel trans? I am aware of the whole automatic trans issues, but is it a huge deal in the 05? what other problems could i encounter with the 05 cummins? What upgrades should be on the top of my list? what sould i expect to pay for an average 05? do i need to worry about egr blockers and pcv re-routes or any other engine killing problems, like i do with my dmax?

DONT GET ME WRONG..... i am very much a Duramax fan, but lets get serious for a sec, we all know if you want comfort, chevy has it, if u want a retardedly solid frame, ford has it, and if you want a bullet proof diesel engine, dodge/ram has it. plus have you seen the eng compartment of a chevy duramax, if you dont know what your looking at, you'll be lost forever.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm.... In stock form, the six speed manual is hard to beat. The auto is a lot more convenient in traffic. Your d-max will out run the cummins in a dragrace, but the inline 6 will eat the d-max when towing. The mileage with the cummins will likely be better too-fewer cylinders to feed. The cummins has 20% fewer moving parts, and is rated as a medium duty engine, wheras the 'stroke and 'max are light duty.
Fuel filtration is key to injector life, so that'd be my first mod. Honestly...they're all great engines. They all have their strong points and flaws. Congrats on considering the Cummins- you'll love it!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Biggest concerns with the '05:

Automatic tranny and plastic capped intercooler.

The auto isn't a bad design, but abuse it and it will come apart on you really quick.

The early '05 trucks had intercoolers with plastic caps and they would pop off under high boost. IIRC, there should be a TSB or recall to replace it.

Initial mods, like above, would be fuel filtration and gauges if you're towing/hauling on the heavy side.

-Kris