24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New Owner 2001 Cummins

Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner 2001 Cummins

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2001 Cummins. It has 102,701 miles on it. The gentlemen who owned it was in his 70's and he had 5 other Cummins in his yard along with some other sweet MOPAR products including a 68' Super Bee in his garage. I swear! Anyway, he sold the truck to me for $4,400 and said it was good to see it go to a younger guy who will put it to work. I thought the price was very odd. I thought atleast $7,500 even though it's a 2wheel drive Standard cab 8ft Box. I bought the truck and drove it home that night. It really ran great! The next day I seen a leak in the front on the drivers side. Vappit Plate??? I seen something online saying it could be this.. The leak is not extremely significant but just enough to really irritate you. What could this be and how much would it cost me to get it replaced? I'm really happy to have my first Cummins. I always wanted one and now I have it! I just want to take care of it the best I can. Any help would be nice. I will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks everyone

Old 05-17-2015, 04:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

First of all welcome to DB !! Simple check first You could check the breather pipe hose which is located forward of the front cross member it comes out of the front engine cover and the hose runs straight down.
These have been known to drip oil from blow by and makes a real mess sometimes.
Here is a picture of how I ran a pvc pipe from the hose back to dump out back behind the transmission cross member.

http://s849.photobucket.com/user/jetafuel_2009/media/family%20pics%20187_zps5ybz8h2l.jpg.html
http://s849.photobucket.com/user/jetafuel_2009/media/family%20pics%20257_zpscmwvhxkc.jpg.html

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 05-17-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Breather pipe

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
First of all welcome to DB !! Simple check first You could check the breather pipe hose which is located forward of the front cross member it comes out of the front engine cover and the hose runs straight down.
These have been known to drip oil from blow by and makes a real mess sometimes.
Here is a picture of how I ran a pvc pipe from the hose back to dump out back behind the transmission cross member.

Breather Pipe Photo by jetafuel_2009 | Photobucket

Breather Pipe2 Photo by jetafuel_2009 | Photobucket
Thanks for the video. I appreciate your help. Please bare with me, I'm new on the site and trying to navigate is a little tricky. I'm going to address this today. What type of oil should I be using for this Engine.? Some say Amsoil 15/40? A few people has told me this engine is like brand new practically. I don't know what that means when they say that but It does have only 102,000 miles on it. I thought when engines get that 100,000 mark its starting to get old. Any help would be appreciated. I really like the Cummins Diesel motors. I'm excited to start learning more.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:13 AM
Diesel Fan

What is a breather hose? Why would it leak?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBuck
Thanks for the video. I appreciate your help. Please bare with me, I'm new on the site and trying to navigate is a little tricky. I'm going to address this today. What type of oil should I be using for this Engine.? Some say Amsoil 15/40? A few people has told me this engine is like brand new practically. I don't know what that means when they say that but It does have only 102,000 miles on it. I thought when engines get that 100,000 mark its starting to get old. Any help would be appreciated. I really like the Cummins Diesel motors. I'm excited to start learning more.
You can run any synthetic oil, In my dads 12 valve he uses Rotella T 15w40 its cheap and a real quality product, but is dino oil. As far as it being called new diesels typically last longer than there gas counterparts, especially the cummins engines, they have fewer moving parts more main bearings and inlines are generally more naturally balanced than a v engine. The cummins has a reputation as being a million mile engine and i have seen more than a few there. Some feel than a cummins is not fully broken in till around 100,000 miles.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Thank you for that. I found where the leak is coming from. The power steering bracket. I'm thinking the seal is bad. Anyone have this issue before? So 102,000 is good for miles? I was thinking of running Amsoil. Can I put the severe gear in the differential? 75/90?

Old 05-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Thank you for that. I found where the leak is coming from. The power steering bracket. I'm thinking the seal is bad. Anyone have this issue before? So 102,000 is good for miles? I was thinking of running Amsoil. Can I put the severe gear in the differential? 75/90?
So far i havent had and issue but i really haven't had my truck that long, Amsoil makes a great product all my quads and toys run amsoil, i would run Amsoil in my truck but my dad buys rotella in bulk becuause he runs his truck and all his tractors on it so i snag a "bit" off him on oil change time , and to answer your question 102,000 miles is getting rarer and rarer to find these at. I don't know about you guys down south but up here in canada a 100,000 mile second gen depending on shape can go anywhere between 10-15,000 dollars.
I would be very proud of a 100,000 mile cummins its still new! And don't quote me but im pretty sure dodge calls for synthetic 75/90 for the diffs.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Ohh wow! That's really great news! I have wanted one for quite sometime. I'm very happy with this truck. Need to fix the Power Steering pump seal and we are good. I would like to post some pics. How do I go about doing this?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Ohh wow! That's really great news! I have wanted one for quite sometime. I'm very happy with this truck. Need to fix the Power Steering pump seal and we are good. I would like to post some pics. How do I go about doing this?
They are great trucks, im not bashing other brands but around here the other diesels just dont cut it, my dad is a huge ford fan but when his 6.0 powerstroke blew the second time he went the dodge route. My truck is an 01 24 valve H.O 6 speed and i pull my dads three bobcats site to site with ease. They are just great great trucks all the way around. My Dad and I are planning on doing a F350 with a 24valve cummins just because he likes his fords but hates there engines. As far as posting pics im pretty sure you have to upload it through photobucket, load your pic to there sit and copy and paste the URL onto your post. Hope this helps!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks a lot! I can't believe how clean the engine is. It really is a great truck and should pull my 7,000 camper around good. Anything else I need to know about maintenance and that? I just want to take care of it! Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner 2001 Cummins