5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Gear Case Leaking... should I do a cam too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Case Leaking... should I do a cam too?

I've come to the conclusion after having the front timing cover resealed and a new front main, that the gear case itself is leaking.

I have two choices. Tear more stuff off the front and clean and RTV it OR do the job right and replace the gasket. Big job.

First question is why does that gear case gasket fail in the first place? It's a simple flat interface. No complex geometry. Mine leaks pretty bad even after snugging up all of the bolts. I lose about a quart every two thousand miles.

So... with the mods I have.... basically what most would call a stage one.... bigger turbo, stage one injectors, head studs, Smarty, TST.... 540hp/1000tq, what benefit will an aftermarket cam do for me?

If I do a cam, should I just get a new set of lifters and just chuck the old ones? Are they that much money? I always thought you should always put new lifters in with a new cam.

Is there a writeup for a 3rd gen cam or gear case gasket replacement with pics somewhere?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor- Jags Diesel
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The gasket usualy drops due to the outer cover had been off at one time letting the inner gasket come loose and fall.
I think you need to ask yourself. Am I done or will I go bigger? Than the cam question will be easyaly answered.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Diesel Fan

The front cover was never loosened until the leak started. I am done with power level. Ideas on what cam to go with?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Fixed it..

So today I took the fan mount off the front of the engine to see what's going on up there. Looks like a piece of the "gear case to block gasket" is missing. How in the heck can that be? Did it happen during assembly?

Fortunately it's up high and I think it's only oil splash from the gears spinning, slinging the oil through that gap. No pressure.

To clean it up, I sprayed it with brake cleaner. It looked like brake cleaner was going down into the gap where the gasket is missing.

Anyway... job is done. Sure hope it works as this leak has been haunting me for years.

Here is what I saw as soon as I removed the fan mount. Fresh oil.

Here is the missing gasket in plain site.

Gunked up with Permatex..

Strange how the previous attempt I made I could only get the RTV just to where the fan mount was. The missing gasket piece started exactly at the fan mount edge and went up behind it from there.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice pics have read about this repair on another site we have the same problem on one of our trucks these pics make the repair seem quite easy thanks BB

Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

In regards to the Cam, Colt Stage 3 all the way. Talking with the owner of Colt, he doesn't recommend anything else unless its a tow only rig. I put a stage 3 in with refaced lifters for $500. World of difference.