5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

06 4x4 making "final drive/wheel speed" noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 06 4x4 making "final drive/wheel speed" noise

I picked up an 06 2500 4x4 auto longbed w/ 80k on it.

never had a problem other than some trans work on my 04.5.... this one is pissing me off.

It's in all stock grandpa mode... haven't done anything to it yet.

Just the other week it started to make a hummmm/gear noise coming to a stop. pretty much sounded like I was on some worn out swampers when slowing down. Didn't make any noise at speed. doesn't change under load/accell/decell... gear shifts etc.

All the u-joints look good....... the carrier bearing seems fine.... I changed a unit bearing because my insanity led me to belive it was coming from the front right corner. It wasn't loud enough to diagnose so I threw some money at it and my time. Unit bearings are good.. front end feels fine.

I've read a little about a t-case snap ring... but most I've seen say that's a sound in 4x4 only.

I put it on jack stands and ran it at speed to try and hear the noise... no luck there either.

it's BAD now and is a vibration. I'll probably figure it out tomorrow but I wanted to get some input and a game plan before i go in.

so from what I gather... if i lost the snap ring in the t-case I've likely done more damage by running it until it got louder. guess I'll pull the tail housing and take a look see if that's the verdit.

thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the tone change when swerving form side to side back and forth like? I have seen some wheel bearings do that that havent changed when decell or on accell! Just a thought!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

U-joints, front axle and rear drive shaft. Can't tell by looking or working them if they are the non-greasables.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Diesel Fan

doesn't change side to side etc.

best guess is it's something that doesn't see a load.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Front pinion bearings over torqued.

I should have noticed the newish pinion flange.

probably could have saved them if I backed the nut off a bit.... since I let it get to a diagnosable volume... that's all she wrote.

So if you're ever in sacramento and you're thinking about having ELK GROVE DODGE do any work for you... DON'T... they are a bunch of democrats that don't stand behind their work.

They did the job for the p/o back in november (I got sneaky and called around until I found someone that worked on the truck)..... gave me the run around on why it's not warranteed. I said I'll bring you the parts.. I just want you to step up to the plate.. admit you made the mistake and make it right so you don't lose a customer who knows a lot of people.

sorry sir...

No big deal.. I wanted to do ball joints anyways. should be dialed by monday if I get off my *** I was kind of hoping it was the t-case.... would have been done w/ it already